16th Annual Midwest HALO Encuentro
Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2022 | 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. | FREE
The Hispanic American Leadership Organization at Kansas State University would like to invite you to this unique event. The goal of the Encuentro is to provide an environment where students can learn about the unexpected challenges they may encounter during their collegiate years, and how others before have overcome those challenges and attained their educational goals. It is also an educational tool that assists in Latino student identity development.
Registration for the Encuentro Leadership conference is FREE and now open for schools and organizations. Please use the link below to register.
> Registration Has Closed
|9:00-9:30 a.m.||Arrive to Campus, Browsing Fair|
|9:40-9:45 a.m.||Introduction of Keynote Speaker|
|9:45-10:30 a.m.||Keynote Address|
|10:30-10:40 a.m.||Transition to Breakout Sessions|
|10:40-11:25 a.m.||Breakout Session One|
|11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m.||Breakout Session Two|
|12:15-12:30 p.m.||Lunch + Entertainment|
|12:45-1:30 p.m.||Student Panel|
|1:30-2:00 p.m.||Closing Remarks & Surveys|
|2:00-3:00 p.m.||Campus Tour (Optional)|
|We are excited to announce our keynote speaker for the 16th Annunal Encuentro as Stephanie Castellanos. Stephanie is a talent & equity strategist, executive recruiter, JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion) Facilitator, and cultural broker who specializes in building diverse teams and decolonizing the workplace. Her deep commitment to equity and building community stems from her experiences as a daughter of immigrants, the product of a single mom with a love for community, the first person in her family to graduate from high school & college, and as a kid from Inglewood, CA.|
Breakout Session Workshops:
"College Without A Filtered" - K-State HALO Student Organization
- Going into college can be stressful but K-State's Hispanic American Leadership Organization (HALO) is here to answer all your questions from the point of view of Hispanic students. In this sessions, students will get to have one on one discussions with HALO members about their experiences navigating college and learn some tips/tricks they've picked up along the way.
"K-State Admissions 101" - K-State Office of Admissions & Recruitment
Connect with K-State Admissions as they share the many opportunities available at the university, answer questions you have about higher education, and everything you need to know about applying to be a Wildcat.
"Federal Policy Updates for Young Adults" - Ramiro Sarmiento
- Focusing on the major developments in policy and regulations that have the potential to impact the material lives of everyday young Americans. Ramiro will explore what it means and where we need to go from here.
"Successfull Interviewing with Cargill" - Cargill
- In this session, we will share tips and tricks for interviewing including – how to prepare for your interview, styles of interview questions, interview reflection questions and tips for responding to behavioral-based interview questions.. Also learn more about Cargill and the many opportunities that are available.
"Koch Overview & Career Paths" - Koch Ind. Representatives
- Participants will connect with Koch employees who will provide a brief Koch overview, talk about their personal career paths, and about different majors and how they connect to careers at Koch Industries.
"Bilingual Biopics in TV Drama Series: Analysis of the Luis Miguel and Selena Streaming Shows" - Dr. Maria DePaoli
- Explore how drama biographical TV series have taken histories and popular memory to the next level such as the Netflix’s Series Selena (2020-2021), and Luis Miguel (2018–2021). Learn how these two shows dramatize the life-stories of two superstar-singers that crossed languages, genres, gender, as well as cultural and national boundaries.
"Applying & Paying for College" - Cecilia Hernandez
- This workshop presentation will assist students who have applied or are in the process of applying for college/universtiy to help in identifying scholarships and other financial aid. Dr. Hernandez will walk through the process of finding and applying to specific programs, for scholarship money, and will give ideas about how to write scholarship essays.
"Discovering and Cultivating Community Cultural Wealth" - Latania Marr, Graciela Berumen, Rebeca Paz & Karina Moncayo-Mitchel
- This session will create a space for students to discover, reflect and discuss their individual power and the community cultural wealth of their communities. By having a clearer understanding of their identity and the collective strength of building community, participants will build confidence as they create a portfolio that will guide them as they achieve their college and career goals.
Please contact us if you are in need of funding for transportation or hotel accommodations. Please direct any questions you might have to our Director of Multicultural Programs & Services, Mirta Chavez at 785-532-6276 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Project Administrator, Adam Carr at email@example.com.
DMSA will not provide Parking Passes for this event.
Thank you to our sponsors: Kansas Department of Children and Families, Koch Industries, Cargill, K-State HALO, United States Hispanic Leadership Institute.
Connect with K-State HALO:
*Please note that photos may be taken throughout the day that may be used by Kansas State University or the Kansas Department of Children and Families publications. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us.*