This initiative will:
- Incorporate meso-scale and downscaling modeling efforts to provide climate change scenarios for Kansas and the Central Great Plains.
- Develop the necessary information for spatially-explicit appropriate adaptation and mitigation strategies.
- Establish an interdisciplinary center to coordinate research and educational efforts on climate change and local strategies.
- Build new collaborative relationships among faculty at Kansas educational institutions, including mentoring of assistant professors.
- Develop novel educational and outreach activities that will stimulate the participation of women and minorities.
- Provide graduate and undergraduate opportunities through close association with minority recruitment programs.
- Present results to the public through presentations to K-12 teachers and volunteers affiliated with these educational programs.