The office of the vice provost for undergraduate studies aims to help organize excellent advising services for students and develop flexible and effective academic advising models. Academic advising is central to the undergraduate experience and helps students establish their academic and career goals.
Apply now for professional development awards!
Professional Development Awards for Advisers at Kansas State University
The University Advising Committee and the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Studies is pleased to offer academic adviser professional development awards of up to $750 to subsidize participation in advising-related professional activities and/or conferences or meetings during the 2014-2015 academic year. Applications are invited from any faculty or professional advisors at K-State (Manhattan, Salina, Olathe, or Global Campuses). Five awards are offered during both the fall and spring semesters.
Attendance at professional conferences provides advisers with opportunities to further their work, increase their knowledge and skills, network with other professionals, and enhance their experience. In addition, it increases the recognition and reputation of Kansas State University.
Professional Development Funds Guidelines
An applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be a full-time or part-time employee at the University serving in some advising capacity.
- Apply to attend professional development activities or a professional conference relevant to his/her field.
- Use the funds to help cover registration, travel, meals, and/or accommodations.
*Preference will be given to first-time applicants. Funds not used by the end of the fiscal year must be returned.
*Recipients of awards may be asked to present a session or poster at one of the advising workshops during the year.
To apply for the professional development funds, the following are to be submitted:
- An of application for the award. Please include the conference or professional development opportunity you will attend, including the name and location of the conference and a rationale for attendance. In your rationale, you may want to consider one of the following questions:
- What relevance does this conference have to your current and future professional goals?
- How will his opportunity improve or transform your advising practices?
- How will this opportunity improve advising at K-State?
- An outline of the budget for the professional development opportunity and any funding sources.
The application documents are to be submitted electronically to Dr. Steve Dandaneau, Vice Provost for Undergraduate Studies, by March 2, 2015. Please also copy your immediate supervisor, to apprise him or her of your interest in professional development opportunities, and to request possible cost-sharing.
Upon return from the activity or conference, please submit a one-page summary of the experience and what was learned to Dr. Dandaneau.
A committee will select the award recipients. The committee’s decision is final.
Applications will be considered once per semester until all awards have been expended. Funds may not be transferred to another person.