Skip to the content

Kansas State University

K-State Web Publishing

Information for publishing unit and campus organization websites on

Requesting web space

Web space is available to K-State units and campus organizations registered with the Office of Student Activities and Services. Requested web space is usually available within a couple of days of receiving the form. The requestor and those given access will receive e-mail when the space is ready that includes the details about your directory and those given access.

Publishing to the web

Access is given on a per user basis, so you use your own eID and password to upload files.

To upload files to your web space, you will need a secure transfer client. WinSCP is an excellent choice and can be found under Communication tools. Here are some alternatives if you are using a Macintosh.

When you open your SCP client it will ask you for a Host name, User name, and Password.

Host name:
User name: Your eID
Password: Your eID password

Next, under Environment on the left side select Directories. Under Remote directory enter the directory path for your website:

/usr/local/data/www/<your site name>

For example, if you are creating a website for the history department and your directory name is "history". Your base directory would look like this /usr/local/data/www/history

We recommend you save your session, then Login. Now you can start uploading and editing files in your web space.

Using Samba

Samba allows you to access your website's files as a directory within Windows, Macintosh or Linux. For details, see the instructions for Samba connectivity.

Using Dreamweaver
If you're using or planning to use Dreamweaver to build your website, check out Dreamweaver Resources.

Getting started with your website

K-State units are encouraged to take advantage of the templates for easy and accessible webpage development.

Updating website access

Send e-mail to with the eIDs to add or remove

When you need to change permissions or access to your website, send e-mail to with the eIDs of the people you would like to add or remove from the allowed list. Note that only the president or advisor may make a request for a campus organization.


For general assistance with web publishing, contact the IT Help Desk.