October 16, 2017
Global Food Systems... so what?
World Food Day is a fantastic opportunity to draw attention to the food challenges throughout the globe, and it can start with Kansas State University. We invite you to join K-State's Global Food Systems Initiative in our quest to solve these challenges through innovation, outreach and workforce development.
As the nation's first operational land-grant university, we have both a history and a future deeply rooted in food. It touches all aspects of our lives, and therefore, all academic disciplines. K-State brings critical expertise in the fight to keep the global food supply safe and sustainable, and every college and academic department — all 65 — can play a role.
The global community is experiencing vast challenges in hunger, obesity, waste, transportation, safety and sustainability — all affecting the availability of food. K-State has the resources to make a difference and the people to be a driving force. Whether you’re a researcher blazing a new trail or a student trying to shape the future, there’s a need you can help fill.
Maureen Olewnik, Global Food Systems Initiative coordinator, will be reaching out to faculty, staff and student-based groups for assistance as we move forward. Opportunities include:
- Problem-solving through interaction, information sharing, and a transdisciplinary research approach
- Developing solutions for complex challenges in production, transportation, storage and processing of safe and sustainable food
- Educational efforts between and among K-State colleges and departments
- Communication efforts through campus outreach, at conferences, with industry, and with funding organizations at all levels
- Informing and educating industry, political leaders, students and the public sector through varied media platforms
- Developing innovative business solutions through risk management
You can stop by the K-State Student Union from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 16 to learn more about the Global Food Systems Initiative or contact Olewnik at email@example.com if you have any questions and thank you in advance for your assistance.