January 23, 2015
Kansas education commissioner invites K-Staters to statewide community conversations
Incoming Kansas Education Commissioner Randy Watson will host community conversations "Kansas Children. Kansas' Future." in 15 locations throughout the state.
These conversations will bring together parents, educators, local school board members, higher education representatives, legislators, members of the business community and all other interested parties to discuss the future they want for Kansas children and the role they believe Kansas education should play in supporting that envisioned future.
Attendees will work in small groups to discuss questions:
- What are the characteristics, qualities, abilities and skills of a successful 24-year-old Kansan?
- What is the role of K-12 education in achieving this future and how should K-12 measure indicators toward that success?
- What is the role of higher education in achieving this future and how should higher education measure indicators toward that success?
Several events are available across Kansas:
Tuesday, Jan. 27
- Arkansas City: 9-11 a.m. at the Arkansas City Middle School cafeteria, 400 E. Kansas Ave.
- Wichita: 1-3 p.m. at the School Service Center Bldg., 3850 N. Hydraulic
Wednesday, Jan. 28
- Salina: 9-11 a.m. at the Smoky Hill Education Service Center 605 E. Crawford
- Hutchinson: 1-3 p.m. at ESSDACK, 1500 E. 11th, Suite 200
Tuesday, Feb. 3
- Hays: 9-11 a.m. at Hays USD 489 Board Room, 323 W. 12th St.
- Oakley: 1-3 p.m. at the Northwest Kansas Service Center, 703 W. Second
- Garden City: 6-7:30 p.m. at the Horace Good Middle School courtyard, 1412 N. Main St.
Wednesday, Feb. 4
- Sublette: 9-11 a.m. at the Southwest Plains Conference Center Kokopelli Room, 810 Lark Ave.
- Parsons: 6-7:30 p.m. at the Parsons Middle School community room, 2719 Main
Thursday, Feb. 5
- Girard: 9-11 a.m. at the Southeast Kansas Education Service Center, Greenbush, 947 W. Highway 47
Tuesday, Feb. 17
- Emporia: 9-11 a.m. at the Mary Herbert Education Center, Room 112, 1700 W. 7th
- Topeka: 1-3 p.m. at the Kansas Association of School Boards, 1420 SW Arrowhead Road
Wednesday, Feb. 18
- Kansas City: 9-11 a.m. at the Kansas City Kansas Central Office, Rooms 131-132, 2010 N. 59th St.
- Olathe: 1-3 p.m. at the Education Center, Board of Education Room, 14160 Black Bob Road
Thursday, Feb. 19
- Hiawatha: 9-11 a.m. at the Fisher Center, 201 E. Iowa
The outcomes of these conversations will be collected and used to begin building the state's strategic plan for education.
Community members who have questions about these events are invited to contact Penny Rice at Kansas State Department of Education, at email@example.com or 785-296-3202.