The Stat Club is a student organization for Statistics majors and minors, including both graduate and undergraduate students. In addition to providing academic support to its members, the Stat Club coordinates several departmental social activities, including
- a picnic at the beginning of the Fall semester
- a picnic at the end of the Spring semester
- pumpkin carving contest in the Fall
- Chinese New Year celebration
- potluck dinners
- ice skating, badminton, and other recreational activities
- student internship forums
Admission to the Stat Club is free, and all undergraduate and graduate Statistics majors and minors are welcome.
Current Officers (pictured above, from the left)
- Treasurer Xianzhe Xue (Christine)
- Vice President Narmadha Meenabhashini Mohankumar (Meenu)
- Advisor Wei-Wen Hsu
- President Jianfeng Chen (Jeff)
- Secretary Jiali Zhu
For additional information about the Stat Club and related activities, please contact:
Jianfeng Chen (Jeff)
Office: 008 Dickens Hall
Phone: (785) 532-0527
Photo Galleries - Events Sponsored by the Stat Club
- 2016 Pumpkin Carving
- Student Internship Forum, Fall 2016
- Department Picnic, Fall 2016
- Department Picnic, Spring 2016
- Pumpkin Carving, Fall 2015
- Department Picnic, Fall 2015
- Badminton at the Rec, 2015
We had another pumpkin carving contest!
Our pumpkin masterpieces are shown below. We carved them Monday evening (October 28, 2013), then placed them in the main office for people to vote on them. Votes were counted by the loose change accumulated by each pumpkin, except that any dollar bills penalized that pumpkin. We garnered $140 for future Stat Club projects, and we had great fun in the process!
Pumpkin Carving Contest
In Fall 2011, we had a pumpkin carving contest to raise money for the club. The carved pumpkins were on display in the main office, and students, faculty and staff voted for their favorite with a cash donation. Shown is Dr. Yao, with the winning pumpkin carved in his likeness.
Ice Skating Party
To combat the unusually warm winter, a few brave souls ventured out to the local ice skating rink.