Statistics Department Awards Nearly $45,000 in Scholarships
The Statistics department has awarded nearly $45,000 in scholarships for the 2017-2018 academic year.
Iman scholarships were given to incoming freshman Brock Kaufmann and undergraduate statistics major Vincent Sylvester. Graduate students Xintong Li and Kessinee Chitakasempornkul each received a Lin scholarship. Jie Ren and Chenshuang Lu, both graduate students, received the Fryer and Siepman scholarships, respectively. Fei Zhou was awarded the Statistics scholarship, and undergraduate student Audrey Chang received the Waller scholarship. Coyne scholarships were given to graduate students Yinhao Du, Nelson Walker, Haoyu Zhang and Huaiyu Zhang.
These scholarships have been made possible by generous support from prior faculty and graduates of the Department of Statistics.
- Lolafaye Coyne Statistics Graduate Scholarship. Lolafaye Coyne received her Ph.D. from our department in 1972. She established this scholarship to support graduate students properly enrolled in the Department of Statistics in the College of Arts and Sciences at Kansas State University. First preference is given to students planning a career in Statistics.
- The Holly and Beth Fryer Scholarship. Holly Fryer was the first statistician hired into the University in 1940, and was instrumental in establishing the Department of Statistics in 1959. He was the first department head, and served in that position until 1974. He was named ASA Fellow in 1966. The Fryer scholarship is available to any regularly enrolled student at KSU who is majoring in statistics. Scholastic performance is the criterion used in selecting a recipient.
- The Ronald and Rae Iman Scholarship. Ron Iman received his Ph.D. from the department in 1973, and has been an ardent supporter of the department and K-State throughout his career. He was named ASA fellow in 1982 and received the ASA Founders Award in 1991. He currently serves on KSU Foundation Board of Trustees. The Iman scholarship is open to students who are properly enrolled in the Department of Statistics with preference to undergraduate students from rural Kansas high schools.
- Dr. Lynn Ying-Shiang Lin Statistics Graduate Research Scholarship. Lynn Lin is a 1963 graduate of K-State with a master’s degree in statistics, and went on to earn a doctoral degree in statistics from the University of Minnesota. In 2009, he was named alumni fellow by K-State’s College of Arts and Sciences. The recipient of the Lin scholarship is a graduate research assistant in good academic standing. Preference is given to students with financial need who are involved in food safety or clean water research.
- Ray and Carolyn Waller Statistics Scholarship. Ray Waller has been both a student and faculty member in the Department of Statistics. He was named ASA Fellow in 1996. The Waller scholarship is available to both undergraduate and graduate students properly enrolled in the Department of Statistics in the College of Arts and Sciences at Kansas State University.
- Howard Siepman Memorial Scholarship. Howard Siepman received his Ph.D. from the Department of Statistics in 1987. This scholarship is available to any PhD graduate student properly enrolled in the Department of Statistics at Kansas State University.
More information about financial support in the Department of Statistics is available at the following links: