Criteria for Selection of the Presidential Award for Outstanding Department Head
The selection committee will evaluate nominations on the evidence of qualities that distinguish the nominee as an outstanding department head. Such evidence may include, but is not limited to:
- Role and Scope of the Department.
- Brief overview of the nominee's responsibilities.
- Accomplishments and Governance as a Departments Head.
- Displays leadership qualities, e.g., is proactive and positive, fair and equitable, has a caring attitude, is able to make difficult decisions, is able to delegate when appropriate, and fosters an inclusive approach to accomplishing tasks, and manages conflict effectively.
- Fosters a departmental environment that is positive atmosphere for achievement.
- Displays vision for the department, and integrates departmental strategic planning and thinking with mission and goals of the university.
- Empowers the department, faculty, and staff.
- Is innovative with regard to new programs, infrastructure, facilities, and organization.
- Shows achievements in areas such as recruitment of outstanding faculty and students.
- Promotes professional development for all department personnel.
- Participates in professional development opportunities both within and outside the university.
- Promotes diversity and understanding of difference
among faculty, staff, and students.
- Service/Cooperation with other Units in the College and University.
- Places emphasis on collaboration within and among departments.
- Is an active citizen of both the college
- Service to External, Clientele, Professional Societies, and to the Community.
Nomination PacketThe nomination packet should contain the following items:
- Current curriculum vitae.
- Recommendation letter from the Dean.
- Up to three letters of support: These can be from faculty members, graduate and undergraduate students, classified staff, or others who work extensively with the nominee, but need not come from all these groups.
- Paragraph from nominee on his/her philosophy on leadership and management of a department.