Physical activity is any movement performed by muscles in the body that result in calories burned. In other words, anything you do other than sitting or lying down is considered physical activity and can range from standing to running fast. The idea is for you to move around as much as possible during the day by structuring physical activity into your day regardless of whether you go to a gym or simply engage in activities that promote burning calories (i.e. parking farther away, taking the stairs, or mowing your lawn).
Why should I be physical active?
What the experts say:
Performing physical activity on a regular basis will help to improve overall health and fitness, as well as decrease the risk for many chronic diseases (Center for Disease Control, 2010).
- HEALTH: The World Health Association defines it as, “Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”
- HEALTH-RELATED FITNESS: The American Academy of Sport Medicine defines this as a set of attributes one already has or works towards and develops through physical activity and aids in the performance of daily function with vigor and without fatigue.
- CHRONIC DISEASES: A condition that impairs daily living, decreases longevity and quality of life. Some examples include; Cancer, heart disease, Diabetes, Alzheimer’s, etc.
What does this mean for you?
- Physical activity can raise your heart rate and breathing leading to numerous health benefits including:
- Reduced risk for cardiovascular disease, type II diabetes, certain cancers, and other chronic health conditions
- Help with weight control including slowing or stopping weight gain
- Strengthening bones and muscles to help carry out normal daily activities
- Improve your mental health, mood, and energy
- Live a longer and better quality life
Manhattan, Kansas, is a community that supports and provides numerous types of physical activity opportunities for YOU!