1. K-State home
  2. »Greek Affairs
  3. »Potential Members
  4. »IFC Fraternity Recruitment
  5. »Frequently Asked Questions

Greek Affairs

Office of Greek Affairs
214 K-State Student Union
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS 66506

Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm

785-532-5341 fax

Greek Affairs Mission

The K-State Fraternity and Sorority community is dedicated to the personal and professional development of members through a wide range of activities and experiences. We are committed to promoting life-long involvement in individual organizations, as well as our collective community to positively impact the lives of both undergraduate and alumni members while building and maintaining a fraternity and sorority community worth enough to serve the University and the people of Manhattan.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the GPA requirement to join a fraternity?

The Interfraternity Council requires that men who are entering as first-time freshmen have a 2.5 unweighted cumulative GPA from high school. Men who are transfer students and/or joining when current college students must have a 2.35 cumulative college GPA. Each fraternity also has its own minimum GPA requirement, so you should ask the recruitment chairman for the chapter(s) you are interested in about academic expectations.

See the fraternity scholarship reports

Where do I live?

19 of K-State's 26 fraternities have facilities.

If you choose to join a fraternity that does have a facility, you will generally move in as a new member. If this is an option you are considering, it is recommended you begin your recruitment process early in the spring semester to ensure you have secure housing for the fall semester. Generally, the earliest you can be offered a bid would be in mid-February. Each individual fraternity should be able to share with your their timeline for bid extension, so you can know when you have official details and a housing contract.

If you choose to join a fraternity that does not have a facility, you would live in the residence halls or another living arrangement of your choosing. Fraternities without facilities still offer a great fraternity experience with the only difference being that you don't live together.

What if I am unsure of what I want to do?

If you are unsure about joining a fraternity, we recommend going ahead and completing your housing contract through K-State Housing & Dining Services. This contract can be cancelled by June 1 with NO PENALTY, so it does not hurt to have this as a back-up plan as you explore fraternity membership. Housing contracts are done on a priority basis, so the earlier you complete this, the better. Should you decide to join an unhoused fraternity and/or not join a fraternity, going through this process will be of benefit to you.

Can I afford to be in a fraternity?

Absolutely! Chapter fees consist of a monthly house bill, which is like rent, that covers everything from room and board, food, social activities and functions. In addition to house bills, most fraternities have chapter dues, which are paid to that chapter's national headquarters each semester. Costs of membership may be a little more during the first year due to some one-time costs including initiation fees and/or damage deposits. However, the cost of Greek life is comparable, if not cheaper, than the residence halls. In addition, all chapters offer payment plans to help members fulfill their financial obligations. Prospective fraternity members should ask the recruitment chairman about costs at a particular chapter.

See the average membership dues and fees

Will a confirmation email be sent out?

Men wishing to join a fraternity fill out a simple online biographical data form. Your confirmation will be a "Thank you for your submission" message that appears after your info is transmitted. A week or so after you've completed the form, you will receive an email with an infographic advising you on next steps in the recruitment process. Once you are in the database, it is up to the individual fraternity recruitment chairmen to begin contacting you about attending their upcoming events.

What do I do if I haven't heard from any fraternities after registering?

If after registering on the Greek Affairs website you have not had contact with any fraternities, contact greek@k-state.edu or call the Office of Greek Affairs at 785.532.5546. We can help you through the recruitment process and answer any questions you may have.