1. K-State home
  2. »Graduate School
  3. »Current Students
  4. »Graduate Student Council
  5. »Travel awards
  6. »FAQs

Graduate School

Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a maximum amount of funds I can be awarded?

Yes. Students traveling within the United States can be awarded a maximum of $500 per fiscal year (July 1-June 30) and students traveling internationally can be awarded a maximum of $750 per fiscal year. If a student is traveling both internationally and domestically during a fiscal year, he/she can receive a maximum of $750 for the fiscal year.

Are travel advances available?

No. GSC travel awards are paid as reimbursements after travel.

If I don’t have additional funding, would GSC consider increasing my travel award?

GSC travel award funds are limited and thus we are unable to increase awards based on funding.

When do you need to know if I won’t be using my travel award?

If your travel plans change and you will not be using your GSC travel award, you must inform the GSC immediately via email to gsctravel@ksu.edu. Failure to appropriately claim or deny a travel award will result in ineligibility for GSC travel awards for one year.

My department is paying for some of the expenses of my trip, can I still apply for a travel award?

Yes. GSC travel awards can be used to pay for expenses not covered by your department.

When will I find out if I received a GSC travel award and how much my award is?

No less than 10 days after the application submission deadline, travel award recipients will be notified of their award amount via email and a list of award recipients will be posted. Due to the limited availability of funds and the competitive nature of the awards, it is likely that some applicants will not receive funding. Applicants not awarded funds will be notified via email.

It’s past the deadline for my month of travel. Can I still apply for a GSC travel award?
No. Late applications will not be considered.
What does "sign original receipts" mean?

All receipts turned in for reimbursement must have your signature on them indicating authenticity. Airfare and registration receipts are often sent via email. These can be printed off and then signed. Receipts are not required for meal or personal vehicle mileage reimbursement.

How will I be reimbursed for meals?

All meals will be reimbursed based on State of Kansas per diem rates. Meal allowances are based on time of departure and return and event location. No receipts are required for meal reimbursement. See the Meal Expense Reimbursement section of the Reimbursable Travel Expenses policy manual for more information and per diem rates.

How will I be reimbursed if I drive my personal vehicle?

Reimbursement for use of a personal vehicle will be based on State of Kansas mileage rates. No receipts, including fuel receipts, are required for mileage reimbursement. See the Mileage Reimbursement for Use of a Privately-Owned or Operated Conveyance section of the Reimbursable Travel Expenses policy manual for more information and mileage rates.

Can I be reimbursed for membership fees?

Membership fees can only be reimbursed if membership is required in order to attend the event. Please provide documentation that membership is required.

How long will it take to receive my reimbursement? How do I get my money?

Reimbursement checks or electronic deposits should arrive 1-3 weeks after submitting reimbursement information. Checks will be mailed to the address provided on your W-9 form. Reimbursements for GRAs, GTAs, GAs and other students enrolled in electronic deposit will be paid via direct deposit.

Can I email or fax my travel reimbursement packet?

Yes. All reimbursement information must still have an original signature and can be emailed to gsctravel@ksu.edu or faxed to (785) 532-2983.

Can I be reimbursed for my hotel expenses (or other expenses) if my roommate paid for it and then I paid him/her back?

Students should pay for their travel expenses and not those of other students when possible. If sharing a hotel room, separate hotel receipts for each student’s portion of the lodging should be submitted.

While this is the preferred method, the GSC understands that it is not always possible or economical to get separate lodging receipts, book flights separately, etc. If another student has paid for one of your expenses, include a letter or email from the individual with a copy of the receipt. The letter should include what the student paid for and the amount that you paid him/her back.

Will I still receive my full award amount if the total of my receipts is less than my award?

No. You will only be reimbursed for the total amount of your receipts.

What if the total amount of my receipts exceeds my travel award?

You will be reimbursed up to the amount of your travel award.

I won’t be able to turn in my post-travel reimbursement packet within the 1 month time frame. Can I submit my packet later?

Yes. Email gsctravel@ksu.edu requesting an extension. Failure to do so will result in a loss of your award.

Why do I have to fill out a W-9 form?  Does it have anything to do with my taxes?

Information from the W-9 form is needed to establish information in the K-State vendor database. Reimbursement checks will be mailed to the address listed on the W-9 form. Reimbursements are generally neither taxable nor reportable.