Graduate School Commencement Information
Friday, May 11, 2018, at 1 p.m.
Congratulations! We are pleased you are planning to participate in the Fall 2017 Graduate School commencement ceremony at 1 p.m. Friday, May 11, 2018, in Bramlage Coliseum.
Students should report for check-in on the south concourse near sections 25/26 of Bramlage by noon. Students with disabilities that require special assistance that plan to participate in the commencement ceremony should contact the Graduate School by calling 785-532-6191.
General Information for Graduates and Graduate Faculty
If you have any questions about purchasing or renting regalia, please contact the K-State Campus Store at 785-532-6583 or email Rhonda Darrow at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Master’s candidates participating in commencement exercises must wear a master’s cap, gown, hood and tassel. Master’s regalia differs from bachelor’s regalia and can be purchased through the K-State Campus Store or online at www.k-statecampusstore.com.
- Doctoral candidates and graduate faculty participating in commencement exercises can rent regalia through the K-State Campus Store. Please call or visit the campus store to place your order.
Wearing of Graduation Regalia
Traditionally, graduation regalia is not ornamented. Wearing of corsages, boutonnieres or any other ornamentation is not appropriate to academic protocol.
Tassel should be placed on left side of mortar board.
Mortar board should be worn squarely on top of the head, board parallel to the floor; not cocked to the sides, forward or back. Men should remove mortar boards during the national anthem and during hooding (doctoral and terminal degree candidates).
- Master’s candidates: Wear hoods during ceremony. Marshals will be available to assist you with the proper manner to wear a hood.
- Doctoral and terminal degree candidates: You will carry the hood during the procession and give it to your hooding professor(s) prior to hooding.
Students should plan to arrive at Bramlage at noon. Upon arrival, please report to the southwest concourse near section 25/26. All students and hooding professors must be in their designed place in line by 12:40 p.m. The processional down the stairs into the tunnel will begin promptly at 12:50 p.m.
- Master’s candidates: Report to your respective college (indicated by overhead signs near section 25) and check in with the staff member there. You will receive a numbered yellow name card, which you will present to the commencement reader at the stage. Find your place in line according to the number on your name card.
- Doctoral and terminal degree candidates (Ph.D., Ed.D., MFA): Report to section 26 (indicated by an overhead “Doctoral and terminal degree candidates” sign) and check in with staff located there. You will receive a numbered yellow name card, which you will present to the commencement reader at the stage. Find your place in line according to the number on your card. Your hooding professor(s) will line up immediately behind you.
Faculty should plan to arrive at Bramlage no later than 12:30 p.m.
- Hooding faculty: Report to the south concourse near section 26 and check in with staff located there. Line up with your candidate(s). All students and hooding professors must be in their designed place in line by 12:40 p.m. The processional down the stairs into the tunnel will begin promptly at 12:50 p.m.
- Non-hooding faculty: Report to the tunnel at the south end of Bramlage. An elevator and stairs are available in the south concourse near sections 26 and 27 for access to the tunnel.
The commencement reader(s) will be available prior to the ceremony near section 6 from noon-12:30 p.m. if you would like to meet with them regarding the pronunciation of your name.
There will be no checking area for personal items and items cannot be carried onto the floor during the procession. Please leave all personal items (purse, camera, clothes, etc.) at home, in your car or with friends or family.
Professional photographers will take a photo of the presentation of your diploma cover as a service to you and your family. This optional souvenir photo is available for purchase with no obligation on your part. Digital proofs will be emailed to the address entered during the online commencement registration. Hard copy proofs will be mailed five to seven days after the ceremony. For more information, please contact:
To view and order photographs, please visit the following website:
General Information for Guests
All ceremonies at Bramlage are open to the public and do not require a ticket. Lobby doors at Bramlage open at noon. We ask that all guests be seated no later than 12:45 p.m. to assure a smooth start of the ceremony. Guests should enter the coliseum’s northwest or northeast doors and proceed directly to the seating area. The ceremony will last approximately 90 minutes.
Parking is available in the east and west lots at Bramlage. Attendants in golf carts are available to assist patrons with mobility impairments up the exterior ramps to the main entrances. Upon request, attendants will provide assistance to help patrons to seating areas.
Seating and Elevators
Master’s candidates will be seated on the west side of the floor (between sections 5-7). Candidates will walk across the stage to the east to receive your diploma cover.
Doctoral and terminal degree candidates, along with hooding professors, will be seated on the east side of the floor (near sections 19 and 20). Candidates will walk across the stage to the west to be hooded and receive your diploma cover.
Seating for wheelchair users is located in sections 9 and 17. Seating is not reserved and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. There is also handicap seating for those with mobility issues in sections 13 and 14. Access to lower rows in each section will be available prior to and following the ceremony by using the elevator; access is not possible during there ceremony. Seating on the coliseum floor is reserved for degree candidates only.
The elevator in Bramlage is located on the south concourse across from section 26 and is limited to people with mobility impairments who want to access lower seating rows. Guests may have only one person accompany them on the elevator. Please have a family member or companion hold seats in the desired seating area before accessing the elevator, if possible.
For additional information about accessibility at Bramlage, call Jim Muller at 785-532-7600.
FM listening devices are available for use in Bramlage. Please contact the administrative office at 785-532-7600 to reserve the use of this equipment. Deposit of a driver’s license or credit card is required.
Arrangements for sign language interpreters should be made through Student Access Center by calling 785-532-6441 or emailing email@example.com.