Appendices - Word 2007
Appendices should be labeled in alphabetical sequence, for example, Appendix A, Appendix B, and so on. Use style Heading 6 for the main heading in appendices and style Headings 7, 8, and 9 for subheadings within appendices.
Table and figure captions within appendices
If you add tables or figures in an appendix, Word uses a continuation of the chapter numbering scheme (5-1, 5-2, etc.) instead of the A-1, A-2, A-3 format that’s required. To correct this, follow these steps:
This order in which these steps are completed is extremely sensitive. Start with the first figure/table in Appendix A and complete all steps in one operation – don’t stop until. you’ve edited all captions, updated the Lists of Tables and List of Figures, and saved your file.
- Within your appendix, place your cursor at the beginning of the first figure or table caption to be revised.
- If the figure or caption number is not contained within a gray field, follow the steps described in the Captions for Figures and Tables section.
- Press Alt F9 (hold down the Alt key and press F9 key). You should now see the field codes underlying the number. For example:
- Replace each “1” with “6” as shown below. (This operation tells Word to apply the Heading 6 style, which is configured to use the A, B, C format.)
- Click in the STYLEREF field and right-click Update Field in the displayed menu. Repeat this for the SEQ field.
- Repeat steps 4-5 for all figures and tables in all your appendices.
- Finally, press Alt F9 to turn off the field codes.
- After all appendix captions have been edited, update your List of Tables and/or List of Figures. See the Table of Contents, List of Figures, and List of Tables section.
- Save your file!