Summer Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program
The Summer Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (SUROP) at Kansas State University (KSU) gives undergraduates experience with the research process. This experience is designed to help students prepare for graduate school and other advanced study. Participation in a program such as SUROP provides a first-hand look at the process and excitement of discovery through research. Such experience is viewed favorably by the admissions committees for graduate and professional schools. Students in SUROP are supported by partnerships between the K-State Graduate School, the Kansas IDeA Networks of Biomedical Research Excellence (K-INBRE), and the hosting departments.
Students participating in SUROP will spend nine weeks during the summer at K-State working closely with one or more faculty members and their research teams. Faculty members have on-going scholarly programs that continue through the summer. Students are expected to spend about 40 hours per week working with their research teams and to be contributing members of this group. By the end of the 9-week period, students should have produced tangible results from their research and will report the results in a special research forum.
Participants will also attend weekly seminars to learn more about the graduate school experience and are strongly encouraged to attend other events and activities organized by the SUROP coordinators.
The program for summer 2019 begins on May 28, 2019 and concludes on Friday, July 26, 2019. Selected participants are expected to arrive to Kansas State University May 26 or 27.
Stipend and Financial Support
The Kansas State University Graduate School provides participants with a stipend of $4,500 paid in three installments. In addition, the program pays travel expenses (up to $300) and residence hall room and board. The student is expected to pay for personal expenses from the stipend amount.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens.
- Applicants must have an undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale, be majoring in a field listed above or a related field, and have a career goal that includes graduate education.
- Students should have at least sophomore standing and must be enrolled in at least one semester of undergraduate stud after participating in SUROP.
- Non-KSU applicants will be given prior consideration.
- Applicants must be available for the entire time period of the program.
Participating Departments for Summer 2019
This list will be updated throughout the Fall 2018 semester.
Applications will be accepted for summer 2019 beginning in November.
To apply for participation in SUROP
- Complete the SUROP application form
- Upload the following materials within the online application. These materials should be submitted as PDF files saved with your last name as the file name.
- Statement of purpose - approximately 1-2 double-spaced pages that includes academic and career goals, research interests, and explains why you desire to participate in SUROP. It is beneficial to identify one or more K-State faculty members with whom you are interested in working and explain why you would like to work with them (see available faculty members in the list of participating departments above). Save your personal statement as a PDF file with your last name (e.g. Martens.PersonalStatement.PDF) and upload it in the online application form.
- Your current curriculum vitae (CV) - save as a PDF file with your last name (e.g., Martens.CV.PDF) and upload it in the online application form.
- Letters of recommendation from two faculty members - Recommendation letters may be faxed to 785-532-2983 or sent as an email attachment to email@example.com. If references choose to submit letters by email, please ask your letter writers to save their letters as a PDF file and save with your last name (e.g. Martens.Letter.PDF).
- Transcripts of all undergraduate work including grades for Fall 2018 - If you have attended multiple colleges or universities, submit copies of transcripts from each institution. Unofficial transcripts are allowed for the application and should be uploaded as a PDF file labeled with your last name (e.g., Martens.Transcript.PDF). However, upon admittance to the program, you will be required to submit official transcripts. If your institution has the ability to send your official transcript electronically, please ask that they email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. If transcripts can be sent only in hard copy form, please ask that they be mailed to:
The Graduate School-SUROP
Kansas State University
113-119 Eisenhower Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-1103
(Please be sure to include "SUROP" in the mailing address.)
Questions regarding the application procedure and requirements may be sent to email@example.com, or the SUROP coordinators may be contacted by phone at 785-532-6191.
Please direct questions about SUROP to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Graduate School at 785-532-6191.