Advisors and Alumni
All fraternities and sororities at Kansas State University are required to have a K-State Faculty/Staff Advisor. To see if a group has a K-State Faculty/Staff Advisor, call the Office of Student Activities and Services at (785) 532-6541. The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life greatly appreciates the hard work that K-State Faculty/Staff Advisors provide to students within fraternities and sororities. If you are interested in serving in this vital position, please contact us.
Suggested Advisory Role
- Meet once a semester with the scholarship chair and/or president to talk about scholarship-related issues.
- Attend two (2) chapter meetings each semester to emphasize academics and your availability as a mentor.
- Be available to meet with individual members who may need academic guidance.
- Provide guidance to the chapter if they want to develop a speaker series or host a faculty reception or dinner.
- Attend any faculty reception the chapter hosts.
- Help the chapter formulate academic incentives to reward members who do well academically.
- Review the scholastic achievement of the chapter and determine whether it meets the national's expectations.
- Attend one lunch or dinner with the members each semester.
As an advisor, you are NOT expected to
- Be a member of a fraternity or sorority.
- Be a man to advise a fraternity or a woman to advise a sorority.
- Be the chapter advisor.
- Be a member of the house corporation (the group of alumni who own each house, for those groups with houses).
- Be "on call" for chapter or housing problems (this is for the chapter advisor)
- Using the expectations above as a starting point, the chapter decides what they want a Faculty/Staff Advisor to do for them.
- The chapter identifies faculty/staff that members have in class or that they know well.
- The chapter meets with the candidate(s) to:
- Discuss their interest in having the faculty/staff member as their Faculty/Staff Advisor
- Discuss the role of the Faculty/Staff Advisor based on the expectations above
- Ask the faculty/staff member to be their KSU Faculty/Staff Advisor
- When a KSU Faculty/Staff Advisor is determined, the chapter forwards his or her name and email to the Office Office of Student Activities and Services. As part of the annual registration process, each fraternity or sorority must list their Faculty/Staff advisor on their registration form.
More KSU Faculty/Staff Advisor Resources