1. K-State home
  2. »Undergraduate Research
  3. »About
  4. »Frequently Asked Questions

Office of Undergraduate Research & Creative Inquiry

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Office of Undergraduate Research & Creative Inquiry?

The Office of Undergraduate Research & Creative Inquiry is dedicated to the expansion of undergraduate research opportunities at Kansas State University. The office serves an interdisciplinary community of researchers and encourages undergraduate students and faculty to realize research's value early in a student's academic career. The office raises the visibility of K-State's strong commitment to excellence in inquiry, investigation and discovery of new knowledge and creative endeavors.

How are research & creative inquiry defined?

Undergraduate research & creative inquiry are defined as scholarly, collaborative, authentic, original work or an assessment from a new point of view conducted by a students or group of students within a mentored environment for the purpose of publicly disseminating the information through a university seminar, poster/oral conference presentation, performance, exhibition and/or publication. The projects shall involved inquiry, design, investigation, research, scholarship, discovery, application, writing and/or performance to a greater or lesser degree depending on the discipline.

What disciplines will the Office of Undergraduate Research & Creative Inquiry serve?

The Office of Undergraduate Research & Creative Inquiry broadens the awareness of research across all university disciplines - from STEM disciplines to the humanities and the arts. This office will assist in the coordination of events across the curriculum to bring heightened visibility to K-State research and to showcase the accessibility of cutting-edge research to undergraduates at our institution.

What will the Office of Undergraduate Research & Creative Inquiry provide?

The Office of Undergraduate Research & Creative Inquiry will collaborate across campus to provide year-round workshops, seminars, panels and presentations to encourage the intellectual dialogue of campus and the interdisciplinary exchange of ideas.

dancers at K-StateresearchersStudent taking water samples



How can I get involved?

There are several steps you will want to take to get involved.

1. Identify a faculty member who could serve as your mentor. Look on your department's webpage to find information about the research interests of faculty in your area of study. Identify several faculty members whose interests match yours and contact them to ask about any opportunities to get involved.

2. Find funding for your project. The OURCI awards $1,000 research and travel grants three times each year. Find more information about the grants here.

3. If you have any questions or challenges, visit our office at the address below. Let us help you get involved!

Where can I go for more information?

You can learn more by visiting the Office of Undergraduate Research & Creative Inquiry, Wildcat Landing, Suite 001, 1800 Claflin Road, Manhattan, KS  66502, calling the office at 785-532-5864, or by emailing Anita Cortez at cortez@ksu.edu.