1. K-State home
  2. »Admissions
  3. »Admissions requirements for special and non-degree students

Office of Undergraduate Admissions

Admissions requirements for special and non-degree students

Several categories of special and non-degree students exist at K-State. All students are subject to stated requirements and are responsible for payment of all fees, regular attendance at classes, and maintenance of satisfactory standing. Special and non-degree seeking students are not eligible for financial assistance. Special and non-degree options are not available for international students on student visas.

Special student applicants
Students who do not intend to become candidates for a degree may apply for admission as special students. Such students must submit the admission application, application fee, test scores, and appropriate transcripts. Special student applicants must meet standard admission requirements.

Non-degree-seeking student applicants
Some students may be admitted as non-degree seeking students at the discretion of the Office of Admissions. Non-degree-seeking students must submit the admission application and application fee. These students will be allowed to complete a maximum of 15 semester hours in non-degree status. In order to pursue work beyond the 15 hour limit, students must notify the Office of Admissions of the selected degree program, meet all admission requirements and may be required to sign an agreement specifying the terms of their admission.

Minor-seeking student applicants
Kansas State University offers several “stand-alone minors.” Students will be considered by the minor program coordinator for admissibility. Students must submit documentation of all previous college work by sending official transcripts to the Office of Admissions.

Certificate-seeking student applicants
All “stand-alone certificate” programs require admission to Kansas State University.  Applicants must provide documentation of high school or GED completion and, if college courses have been attempted, official transcripts demonstrating a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher for all post-secondary coursework. Official transcripts should be sent to the Office of Admissions.