December 8, 2015
December NACADA Webinar
The next National Academic Advising Association, or NACADA, webinar is "Communicating Effectively in Academic Advising: It's not just WHAT you say, but HOW and WHEN we say it" at 1 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 10, in 207 K-State Student Union.
In this Web event, a team of five "Best of Region" presentation winners will share their insights on important aspects of communication that are essential to quality academic advising. Our Region 10 team, Danée Janda, Megan Stephenson, and Debbie O’Neill, University of Colorado-Boulder, will consider how nonverbal communication influences advisor-advisee interactions, contributing to the quality of their relationship. Our Region 1 team, Jessica Karner from Worcester Polytechnic Institute and Melissa Jenkins from Bentley University, will consider what happens when the trusting relationships developed between advisor and advisee lead to the sharing of sensitive information. These combined teams will discuss how advisors can demonstrate caring to their students by becoming aware of how we communicate with our advisees. They will provide practical tips for implementing effective communication techniques and strategies.
- Danée Janda, advising director, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Colorado-Boulder
- Megan Stephenson, advising director, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Colorado-Boulder
- Debbie O’Neill, academic advisor, Department of Communication, University of Colorado-Boulder
- Melissa Jenkins, assistant director, Office of Academic Services/Academic Advising Center, Bentley University
- Jessica Karner, advisor, Academic Support and Technology, Worcester Polytechnic Institute