April 20, 2015
Letter from Cheryl Johnson: New director of institutional equity hired
Please join me in welcoming Travis Gill to Kansas State University. Travis will serve as the director of institutional equity effective May 4. Currently, Travis contributes as the director of investigations and outreach; institutional Title VI coordinator, and deputy Title IX coordinator in the Office of Institutional Equity for the University of Texas, Austin.
Travis also brings to K-State a well-rounded and rich experience as a labor and employment attorney for Bracewell & Giuliani, LLP and Jackson & Gill, PLLC.
He attained a Bachelor of Business Administration and Finance from the University of Oklahoma and a Juris Doctor degree from the University of Houston Law Center.
He has published several articles including Workforce Q-and-A, Update on FMLA, Employment Law Update for Public Employers and Hot Topics in Regional Employment Cases.
He is the former vice president of the Buffalo Bayou Art Park, volunteers for Big Brothers Big Sisters and serves on the Texas Diversity Counsel. Travis is a member of the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity.
In July of 2014, I announced that Human Capital services would undergo an organizational restructure to become a more streamlined, unified unit with enhanced skills and capabilities. Please join me in celebrating the conclusion of this restructure.
Human Capital Services is now organized around Centers of Excellence, which include:
• Compensation and Organizational Effectiveness Director, Derek Smith
• Benefits Director, Amanda McDiffett
• Institutional Equity Director, Travis Gill
• Employee Relations Director, Charlotte Self
• Labor Relations Director with Special Projects, Gary Leitnaker
• Talent Acquisition Director, Roberta Maldonado-Franzen
• Talent Learning and Development Director, Shanna Legleiter
• Resource Center and Operations, Alma Deutsch
I want to extend my deepest appreciation to the search committee whose tenacity and sage assessments rendered a successful search process. These leaders are:
• Jackie Hartman, committee chair, Office of the President
• Andrea Blair, chair of institutional equity director search, Office of Student Life
• Mirta Chavez, Office of Diversity
• Steve Dandaneau, Undergraduate Studies
• Anand Desai, College of Business
• Kerry Jennings, Housing and Dining, USS Senate
• Reagan Kays, Student Governing Association
• Priscilla Roddy, College of Veterinary Medicine
• Heather Reed, Office of Student Life
• David Rintoul, Division of Biology, Faculty Senate
• Mary Tolar, Staley School of Leadership Studies
• Marlene Walker, K-State Salina, USS Senate
• Zelia Wiley, College of Agriculture