1. K-State home
  2. »Office of the Registrar
  3. »Students
  4. »Enrollment

Office of the Registrar


Assignment of Courses

Students are responsible for fulfilling all requirements of the curriculum in which they are enrolled. They should consult with their advisors and be familiar with the K-State Catalogs.

A catalog is provided on the web and is maintained by the Office of the Registrar.

No student is officially enrolled in courses or for private lessons in music or other subjects until a formal course assignment is completed.


An undergraduate student has an enrollment cap of 21 units in a term. To add additional units beyond the cap, a student must consult with the appropriate dean's office.

A student will be considered full-time for fall and spring terms if she or he is enrolled in 12 or more term units and for summer if enrolled in at least 9 term units.


No more than 16 units, including those obtained in research, may be assigned in a single term, nor more than 9 units during a summer term. If a part of the assignment is for undergraduate credit, a student may be assigned to 17 units during a term or 10 units during a summer term. Full-time staff members of the university may not be assigned to more than 6 units in one term, nor more than 3 units in a summer term, and may enroll only with the permission of their supervisors. (See section on assistantships and fellowships for limitations applying to students holding assistantships.) These limitations apply to courses audited as well as courses for which credit is earned.

Course schedule changes processed after deadlines must be accompanied by the approval of the student's advisor, the instructors, and the dean of the Graduate School.

All graduate students who have matriculated at Kansas State University and are using faculty time and/or university facilities for research or other academic pursuits must be enrolled. The enrollment should reflect, as accurately as possible, the demands made on faculty time and use made of university facilities. Further, a graduate degree candidate must be enrolled during the term in which the requirements for a degree are completed.

A student working for the Ph.D. must enroll during the term in which the preliminary examination is taken and subsequently in each term (summer terms excepted) until the degree requirements are satisfied and the dissertation is accepted by the Graduate School. Failure to enroll will result in loss of candidacy. To regain candidacy, the student will be re-examined over the areas covered in his or her preliminary examinations in a manner to be determined by the supervisory committee.

If it is necessary to interrupt progress toward the degree after the preliminary examination has been passed, then the student (or the major professor) may petition for leave of absence for up to one year which subsequently may be renewed. Renewals for those who are meeting a military service requirement will be automatic. The petition must be submitted at least one month before the effective date of leave. Approval must be granted by the major professor, chair of the department or graduate program, and the dean of the Graduate School.

Upon written notification, doctoral candidates, who have passed preliminary examinations and do not live in a 30-mile radius of Manhattan, may request the Graduate School to send enrollment information prior to an enrollment period. Candidates may then enroll themselves through the K-State Student Information System (KSIS).

Curriculum Change

Students desiring to transfer from one college to another within the university should confer with both deans concerned.

Faculty and Staff Enrollment

Full-time faculty members and regular employees, with approval of their department heads or deans, may enroll in undergraduate or graduate work not to exceed 6 contact hours in fall and spring terms or 6 contact hours during the summer term.

Late Enrollment

A $65 Special Handling Fee will be assessed to students who enroll in classes on or after the first day of the term.

Non-Standard Drop and Refund Dates

Non-Standard courses (courses that do not meet for the regular 16-week session), have drop and refund dates that are calculated on a pro-rated basis. To check the deadlines for a non-standard course, refer to courses.k-state.edu/courses >Course Schedules > Academic Term > Course schedule > K-State's schedule of courses by college and department with instructions.

Military Deployment Procedures

Enrollment and Fee Procedure for Emergency Military Deployment

Kansas State University will provide the following options to resident and non-resident students enrolled in credit classes who are required to discontinue their attendance as a result of orders to active military duty arising from the need for a long-term TDY or emergency military deployment.

  1. Complete the Proper Form

    Option A: A student may withdraw from all classes and receive a 100% refund of all enrollment fees paid (except for late fees and Military Tuition Assistance). The student must contact the dean's office for their program plan/major for assistance in withdrawing from their classes. (Failure to withdraw from a class, even if no fees are owed, may result in a failing grade.), OR

    Option B: In consultation with the faculty members involved, a student may elect to take an "Incomplete" in his/her classes, with the ability to complete the course requirements upon return to K-State. Information about Incompletes can be found in the K-State catalog. (Failure to request an "Incomplete" or "Withdraw" from a course may result in a failing grade.) Returning students are responsible for making arrangements with faculty members for the completion of work for which an "Incomplete" has been recorded. As an alternative to "Incomplete", other arrangements for receiving a grade and/or completing a course may be made, as appropriate, through the student's consultation with the faculty members involved, OR

    Option C: A combination of the above wherein the student may withdraw from some classes and continue enrollment in those remaining. Any refund for course withdrawal will be based on the difference between what the student initially paid and what the student would owe had he/she enrolled only in the remaining courses. Marks for continuing courses will be arrived at in keeping with B. above.

  2. Contact K-State Office of Veterans Affairs

    Students who are receiving veterans assistance or other financial aid should contact the K-State Office of Veterans Affairs of Student Financial Assistance. Call 785-532-7061 or send e-mail to veteran@k-state.edu. The Office of Student Financial Assistance is located in 104 Fairchild Hall and the K-State Office of Veterans Affairs is in 221 Anderson Hall).

  3. Provide Documentation

    A student required to discontinue their attendance as a result of orders to active military duty arising from the need for a long-term TDY or emergency military deployment must provide to the dean's office for their program plan/major a copy of his/her military orders indicating such assignment. A copy of orders may be mailed subsequent to the student's departure, or, in the absence of a copy of the military orders, a written statement from the cognizant commander will be accepted. The documentation should be mailed to the appropriate dean's office.

Prep Week (also known as Dead Week)

The week before term final examinations period (known as prep week) is set aside as a period of curtailed social activity. Except for honors, problems, seminar, reports, research, laboratory practical, language, studio and fine arts performance classes, the last examination (either unit or comprehensive) must be given during the final examination period published on the web. No examination (unit or final) may be scheduled seven calendar days prior to the first scheduled day of term examinations.

Refund Policy

The following table applies to students who drop one or more courses or completely withdraw from a term. Refunds are calculated by counting calendar days, including Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays. Percentages and days are illustrated for full-term/regular session courses. Refunds for courses of less than a full term (non-standard session courses), including all summer courses, will be pro-rated based on the number of days in the course. Refer to the Non-Standard Drop/Refund Dates table for non-standard session course deadlines. Each course will be refunded separately from any other courses. If any refund deadline falls on a weekend or university holiday, the deadline will be extended to the next business day.

On-Campus Refund Periods
Time of WithdrawalRefund Percentage
Through 21st Calendar Day100%
22nd Through 28th Calendar Day50%
After 28th Calendar DayNo Refund

Refunds will not be made until sufficient time has elapsed to ensure that fee payment checks have been honored by the bank, usually 15 days after the student pays. Refunds generated entirely from dropped courses will not be issued during the first 20 days of class. Students who completely withdraw from a term lose access to all campus student services as of the date of withdrawal. Academic action taken after the last day of a term will not result in a refund.

Federal regulations may require students attending the university who receive federal forms of financial assistance under Title IV, and completely withdraw from the university, to be subject to a "return of Title IV aid" calculation which is different from the above refund percentages. Contact the office of Student Financial Assistance for details.


Students who must report for active U.S. military duty during an academic term are entitled to receive a full refund of tuition and fees. All refunds are subject to presentation of official military documentation. Students who volunteer for military service will be subject to the University's non-military refund policy. Room and board charges will be prorated to the extent that services have been provided.

Continuing Education

Some professional degree programs may have special refund policies that will be published in the program announcement. For Non-Credit Programs, refund policies will be stated in the published announcement. A full refund will be made if the program is cancelled.

Withdrawal from K-State

Fall and Spring Terms

A student who withdraws from the university must complete a notice of withdrawal form; contact the appropriate dean's office.

If a student withdraws during the first 36 calendar days of a 70 or more calendar day course (approximately 10 or more weeks in length), no mark will be recorded on the student's transcript. Thereafter, a mark of "W" is recorded; a course less than 70 calendar days (approximately 10 or more weeks in length), is prorated. The deadline for withdrawing is the end of the 68th calendar day of the term; for a course less than 70 calendar days (approximately 10 or more weeks in length), the withdrawal date is prorated.

When a student withdraws from the university, student privileges, such as use of the Recreation Complex, stop.

If a student finds it necessary to withdraw from the university for verifiable nonacademic reasons after the 68th calendar day, he or she should consult the appropriate dean's office.

Summer Term

A summer withdrawal requires no approval from the student's academic dean's office. Students should drop their courses in KSIS.

Refer to courses.k-state.edu/courses >Course Schedules > Academic Term > Course schedule > K-State's schedule of courses by college and department with instructions for non-standard drop and refund dates.