Internship and Advising Survey
The Advising Survey was initially created to provide a report to the Kansas Board of Regents on the quality of advising at K-State, as well as provide individual advisors with feedback on their performance. The Office of Student Life administered the survey through KSIS prior to 2017.
In the spring of 2017, the University Advising Committee expressed interest in improving the survey to provide higher quality feedback to advisors for their continued development. The group suggested a number of improvements, and working with the Office of Assessment, implemented those improvements in the Fall 2017 administration of the survey. Data, Assessment, and Institutional Research is responsible for the administration of the survey.
Survey participants will include all eligible continuing undergraduate students.
The steps in the advising survey process are as follows:
- Students must first meet with their advisor concerning enrollment for the spring semester.
- Before enrollment begins, students receive a notice in KSIS indicating that they need to take the advising survey before enrolling.
- The advising survey can be accessed via the KSIS notice. Students may also receive periodic email reminders to take the survey.
- After the survey has been completed, the KSIS notice will be automatically removed student accounts. Please allow at least 10 minutes for this process to complete.
Completing the Survey
- Instructions in the survey will guide students through the survey items.
- Identification of a student’s advisor: Students will be asked to confirm their primary academic advisor as identified in their KSIS record. If the advisor is not correct, students will be given the option to select their advisor from a drop-down list.
- Students who indicate they don't have an advisor will be given instructions for how to be assigned an advisor and complete the survey.
- Survey questions assess various activities/behaviors that an advisor can exhibit and students are asked to rate their advisor according to a scale.
- There are three open-ended questions on the survey. Students are encouraged to provide specific comments on their advisors in this section. Note that advisors will be able to see all written comments, but no identifying information will be included with the comments.
Feedback for Colleges, Units, and Advisors
Once the survey is closed, college administrators will have access to aggregated data showing the average ratings of advisors in their colleges. Administrators will not have access to any specific advisor’s information, only aggregated scores.
Advisors will have access to statistics on each item in their individual evaluations, as well as all written comments verbatim. Reports of results will not contain information that identifies any individual student’s responses.
1. Why do we have an Internship and Advising survey?
The purpose of this survey is to gather feedback so that K-State can improve its processes and fulfill its reporting requirements to external agencies.
2. How long will it take to complete the survey?
It should take about 10 minutes to complete the survey.
3. How will I identify my advisor for the ratings?
Each student's advisor is pre-populated from their KSIS record. If the listed advisor is not correct, students will be given the option to select their advisor from a list. Once they have identified their advisor, they will respond to all questions in reference to that advisor.
4. I have multiple advisors. Which one do I select?
A student’s primary advisor is responsible for lowering the “advisor flag” that allows the student to enroll. The student should select that advisor from the list, and complete the survey with that advisor in mind. If a student has a secondary advisor listed in KSIS, the student will be given the option to rate that advisor as well.
5. What if my advisor’s name does not show up on the list in the drop-down box?
Students who do not have an advisor should select "advisor not listed”. Once this is done, students will be given the option to enter information for their advisor.
6. Will my advisor be able to identify my responses or written comments?
All responses are confidential in Qualtrics. All reports sent to colleges and advisors are aggregated across many students, so that no individual student’s responses will be identifiable.
7. Who should I contact if I need help?
Contact the Advising Survey Help if you need assistance with the survey.