1. K-State home
  2. »Office of International Programs
  3. »International Research and Faculty Collaborations
  4. »Health and Safety

Office of International Programs

Health and Safety

Whether you are advising a study abroad student or leading a faculty-led program, we strongly encourage you to review the below links to become more familiar with health and safety topics prior to your student's or your program abroad. 

International Health Insurance

It is highly recommended that faculty or staff traveling abroad on KSU business obtain international health insurance, since many health insurance plans (including most of those offered by the State of Kansas) do not cover important costs that could be incurred while traveling abroad.  These include Emergency Medical Evacuation, Repatriation of Remains, a Family Assistance Benefit, a Bereavement Reunion Benefit, a Security Evacuation Benefit, and Worldwide Travel Assistance.

Education Abroad is able to offer international health insurance coverage to faculty and staff (and their family members) traveling on KSU business.  This provider has recently changed to United Healthcare Global. View the summary of benefits here (PDF).

Faculty and staff interested in purchasing this international health insurance should complete the United Healthcare Global Enrollment Form and submit it directly to United Healthcare Global The form can be mailed to the address at the bottom of the form, or scanned and emailed to cmi_info@uhcglobal.com.  You should receive a confirmation email from United Healthcare Global, with your insurance ID card within 48 hours.  If you do not receive it for any reason, please contact the KSU Study Abroad Office.

The cost of coverage for KSU faculty, staff and students is $8.92 per week (any 7 day period), and is payable directly to United Healthcare Global.  Payment can be made via the United Healthcare Global Enrollment Form or by calling Insurance Services at 1-800-583-2595.  Payment amounts for spouses and children can be found on the Enrollment Form.

To obtain additional valuable information about the policy, or health and safety in your destination of travel, faculty and staff are encouraged to create a United Healthcare Global Member Center account and explore their resources online.

A generic KSU insurance card can be found here.  Upon completion of enrollment and payment for coverage, United Healthcare Global will email a personalized card to the insured.

Should you have any further questions about international health insurance coverage available to Kansas State University employees, please contact abroad@ksu.edu or call 785-532-5990.

NOTE: Kansas State University students traveling abroad on official KSU business, including attendance at conferences, work/intern abroad programs, volunteer abroad programs or study abroad programs should follow a different process.  Please refer any students to Education Abroad in 304 Fairchild Hall (abroad@ksu.edu or 785-532-5990) for more information.