International Education Week 2018
International Education Week
November 7-16, 2018
The Office of International Programs announces the November 2018 International Education Week activities.
Celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide during the annual International Education Week (IEW). International Education Week is a joint initiative between the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education to promote programs that elevate the level of international awareness on campuses and prepare students for a global environment and each year KSU and OIP join to celebrate and honor faculty, departments, and organizations globally engaged within our KSU community.
The following are 2018 K-State International Education Week events. The events are free unless otherwise noted.
- Wednesday November 7 K-State in Italy Education Abroad Session 3:30-4:30 p.m. in 112 Leadership Studies Building. Learn from K-State students who have experienced the inspirational city of Orvieto. Meet students and the K-State in Italy office staff Serena Croce and Graziella Gasparri who traveled here from Orvieto. This will be a student led panel representing those who have traveled to Orvieto and eager to share as well as answer questions from students and faculty interested in future engagement and travel to this remarkable area of Italy.
- Thursday, Nov. 8 Chinese Houses: The Architectural Heritage of a Nation: 7 p.m. in the K-State Student Union's Bluemont Room. The K-State Confucius Institute presents its second "Understanding China" lecture featuring SUNY distinguished professor emeritus Ronald Knapp.
- Friday, Nov. 9 International Coffee Hour featuring Jamaica: 4 p.m. at the International Student Center. Learn more about Jamaican customs from KSU students from this region. Make new friends and have coffee, tea and cultural treats prepared especially to represent Jamaica. Make sure you arrive early as Coffee Hour is often standing room only!
- Sunday, Nov. 11 International Food Festival presented by the KSU International Coordinating Council (ICC): 5:30-8:30 p.m. in the Frith Community Center at Jardine Apartments. Sample scrumptious cuisine at this annual event where students from around the world prepare and share global delicacies, authentic dishes, appetizers, desserts and drinks. This is an annual event by the ICC where students are happy to present their favorite cuisine from their respective countries. For ticket cost and information contact Dhruthi Singamsetty at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tuesday, Nov. 13 Paraguay 50th Anniversary Partnership with the State of Kansas: 4:30-6:00 p.m. at the International Student Center. The Paraguayan Student Association and Office of International Programs present a festive reception celebrating 50 years of partnership between the state of Kansas and the country of Paraguay. The Paraguayan Student Association serves two main purposes: as a liaison between the largest population of Paraguayan students in the U.S. and as a platform to share their culture within the university community and region. This unique long-time association has created and elevated cultural understanding and encouraged collaborative exchanges. Hundreds of Kansans and Paraguayans have traveled to and from Paraguay and the U.S. to gain a greater understanding of people's lives, culture, customs and have shared this with communities through the region. A Facebook Live event from the reception will also connect with the Paraguayan office so KSU alum can also experience the celebration!
- Wednesday, Nov. 14 Raising your International Profile seminar from Noon to 1 p.m. in 305 K-State Student Union. Ken Williams, director of licensing and director of business development, food and ag products sector at the K-State Institute for Commercialization will present. Williams will share the process and recent success stories of how the institute promotes the commercialization of university and underutilized corporate intellectual property emanating from basic research at Kansas State University.
- Thursday, Nov. 15 The 2018 International Education Awards Ceremony and Reception: 4:30-6 p.m. in Regnier Forum and Atrium in Seaton Hall. This ceremony honors and recognizes K-State and community leaders who have excelled in providing international opportunities for K-State faculty, staff and students. Join this signature IEW finale honoring the 2018 International Education Award winners. Winners will be recognized in the following categories: International Educator of the Year, Outstanding Support for International Initiatives and International Innovative Educator of the Year. Charles Taber, University Provost and Executive Vice President, and Grant Chapman, Associate Provost of OIP will recognize and the present awards. During the awards ceremony, the Office of International Programs also will feature a fair highlighting the international units in the office as well departments throughout campus. A reception follows with food provided by The Friendship House. The Fair Participants:
- Office of International Programs
- Education Abroad
- International Scholar and Student Services
- English Language Program
- International Admissions and Recruiting
- Confucius Institute
- Graduate School
- K-State Alumni Association
- Peace Corps