1. K-State home
  2. »Modern Languages
  3. »Programs
  4. »FAQs - Forms

Department of Modern Languages

Modern Languages FAQs and Forms

If you have questions that haven't been answered by this page, feel free to reach out and ask us at modlang@ksu.edu.

Is there a specific order for taking classes?

Yes! The outline or order of taking classes goes like this:

  • Levels I and II of each language introduce the student to the structure of the language and provide ample opportunity for practicing the spoken language.
  • Levels III and IV provide a continuation of Level II with practice in the spoken and written language. The goal of these courses is to develop intermediate-level proficiency in the target language.
  • Courses on the 500 level refine the speaking, listening, writing and reading skills developed in the beginning and intermediate language courses. The primary language of these courses is the intended target language, these courses attempt to build the confidence of the student in using the language while simultaneously increasing his or her knowledge in specific areas of language, literature and culture. They include courses on composition and civilization as well as introductions to the literature of the respective language.
  • The 700-level courses offer an in-depth examination of some aspect related to modern languages as well as specialized techniques of a particular language field, such as literary analysis, linguistic investigation, or translation practices. 

For a look at our course offerings, head over to the Schedules & Course Descriptions page!

I'm a freshman or transfer student, is there anything I should do before classes begin?

Looking to get a head start on your success at K-State? We encourage you to complete this checklist before classes start in August. Familiarize yourself with campus resources, services, and important dates to kick off the semester right! For more info, check out the Office of Student Success, here.

1. Login to KSIS and explore your Student Center

  • a. Review your class schedule and financial aid
  • b. Sign up for SALT, a program to help you learn how to build your financial awareness
  • c. Take a look at items on your “To-Do List” that you may need to complete
  • d. Print your class schedule
  • e. Complete TB questionnaire

2. Explore K-State Online (Canvas)

3. Sign into your K-State email account

4. Email your advisor to introduce yourself. If you do not have an advisor for Modern Languages, request one.

5. Explore Campus Resources and visit these websites:

6. Put important dates and deadlines in your planner/calendar: Academic Calendar

7. Complete Alcohol & Sexual Assault Prevention (ASAP)

8. Read the Kansas State Book Network common book

9. Sign up to receive K-State Alerts

What is the International Business Certificate?

The certificate in international business is open to all students, and it appeals to students seeking adventure, growth, and international exposure that will enhance their personal and professional development. The certificate will be awarded to students who achieve a superior level of expertise in international aspects of business.

Required Courses (9 credit hours)
  • ECON 681: International Trade (3)
    • Principles of international trade, determinants of the value of trade between any pair of countries, sources of gains from trade, main factors determining the pattern of trade, commercial policy, the political economy of trade and strategic trade policy.
  • MANGT 590: International Management (3)
    • Examination of business decision parameters and strategy in a multinational context.
  • MKTG 544: International Marketing (3)
    • This course deals with the problems and perspectives of marketing across national boundaries.

Language Track (6 credit hours)

Two (2) advanced language courses (fourth level proficiency).

International Experience Requirement

Participate in a study abroad experience, international service learning, or international internship (at least 3 hours of relevant approved coursework as part of the experience).

Ready to sign up?

Declare College of Business Certificate Program Form
What's the difference between a Double Major and a Dual Degree?
  • Double Major refers to two different curricula within the same college. A student may pursue a Double Major in Modern Languages (B.A.) and another major B.A. or B.S. [for example, History or Math] within the College of Arts & Sciences by completing requirements in two separate programs within the College. The student must complete all course requirements for each major. 
  • Dual Degree is a degree from another College combined with one in Arts & Sciences:
    • French/German/Spanish & Business
    • French/German/Spanish & Education
    • French/German/Spanish & Engineering
    • French/German/Spanish & Agriculture

Dual degree seeking BA students must fulfill the requirements for the College of Arts and Sciences listed under Additional Requirements of the BA, including the U.S. Multicultural Overlay (starting Fall 2017), and all the requirements in at least one of the three other required areas (Humanities, Social Science, or Natural Science), and half of the distribution requirements in the remaining two areas. The choice of how these requirements will be met will be made with the approval of an advisor within the College of Arts and Sciences.

Students will choose two areas where they will complete only 50% of the requirements out of the following three categories below:

  • 50% of the Humanities category would be two of the following four:
    • One course from Philosophy (3 credits). Philosophy is REQUIRED, but cannot be a Logic
    • One course in the Fine Arts (3 credits).
    • One course in Western Heritage (3 credits).
    • One course in Literary or Rhetorical Arts (3 credits).
  • 50% of the Social Science category would be
    • Two courses, 6 credit hours, from two different disciplines.
  • 50% of the Natural Science category would be
    • 7 credit hours minimum, from two disciplines: Any science course with lab, and one other science course from a different discipline.
What does "with distinction" for my major mean?

The department offers a major option “with distinction”, which can help students who want to stand out with their resume or are looking for added experience with their chosen language.

Students seeking this option must:

  • maintain a 3.5 GPA in all courses taken toward the major while they fulfill the requirements
  • complete 6 credit hours in addition to the regular major:
    • One additional 500-level course
  • one additional 700-level course
I've already taken some language courses in high school or at another college, how can I figure out which class I can take first?

The Department of Modern Languages strives to provide the best possible learning environment for its students, and for this reason we take very seriously the placement of students in courses that match their abilities. Each class in the sequence of our courses is designed so that students advance in reading, listening, writing, speaking, and cultural proficiency. In order to best serve each individual, the Department reserves the right to remove students from the rosters of classes that do not correspond to their proficiency levels. Students who have acquired advanced language skills abroad or at home must consult with Modern Languages staff in order to determine their appropriate entry point in our language sequence. Students who begin their coursework at advanced levels may qualify for retroactive credit in as many as four courses.

  • If you have never taken any language classes, you can enroll directly in level 1 of the language you are interested in.
  • If you have taken language classes in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Latin or Spanish in the past, and/or are transferring courses, and/or have learned the language with your family growing up, please contact modlang@ksu.edu for placement with the following information: full name, student WID number, and include some information about your past language experience (either at school, work or home)--for example, number of years of study, with whom you speak the language, etc.
I've heard of something called "retroactive credit", how does it work?

If you can test into a higher level and successfully complete the course with a "C" or better, you will receive retroactive credit for the preceding courses for FREE, on a "take one class/ receive credit for one class" basis, and you can finish your language course sequence more quickly as well. All you have to do is fill out a form electronically or in the Modern Languages Office (Eisenhower 207).

How do credits from study abroad or transfer credits work? 
  • If you are a language major (French, German, Spanish)interested in studying abroad, consult your advisor as early as possible, as well as the Study Abroad office to determine the best program for you. Your advisor will help you decide which courses to take abroad, how they will transfer back to K-State, and will assist you throughout the process of transferring credit.
  • If you are a language minor (Chinese, Classics (Latin / Greek), French, German, Japanese, Russian, Spanish) or are taking Arabic, and are interested in studying abroad, contact the faculty listed below according to your language of interest, as well as the Study Abroad office to determine the best program for you. The faculty listed below will help you decide which courses to take abroad, how they will transfer back to K-State, and will assist you throughout the process of transferring credit.

For information on transferring credit for any other language, please contact modlang@ksu.edu.

How can I add or drop a language minor?

You can add or drop a language minor electronically by using the form below. This process may take a few days, if you do not see any changes in your DARS list within a couple of weeks of submission, please contact modlang@ksu.edu.

How can I request a specific advisor or change my current one?

Majors can request an advisor and/or change their advisor electronically by using the form below. Please note that Minors do not have an assigned advisor, with the exception of the Spanish Translation Minor. You need to be declared as a language major to be assigned an advisor.

This process may take a few days, if you do not see any changes in your ADVISOR list in your Student Center on KSIS within a week of submission, please contact Angélique Courbou at angeli@ksu.edu.

I'm a native or near-native speaker of ASL or a language other than English, are there any credits I might qualify for?

Native or near-native speaker of ASL or a language other than English may be granted a waiver of the International Overlay (level 4 of a foreign language) requirements for any B.A. in Arts and Sciences. To see if you qualify, please fill out this FORM. A faculty in the language will contact you to set up an appointment. 

This process may take a few days, if you do not receive a response within a week of submission, please contact modlang@ksu.edu.

What are my responsibilities as a students towards my advisor?
  • Get to know your advisor.
  • Work with an advisor to develop and implement short-term and long-term academic, personal and career goals.
  • Discuss the following: goal setting, campus involvement opportunities, changing majors, time management, study tips, adding minor/certificate/secondary major, and career planning/life after graduation.
  • Utilize your advisor when academic or personal challenges arise.
  • Familiarize yourself with requirements for your major by utilizing the information given to you by your advisor and the Degree Audit Report System (DARS) in KSIS. Remain informed of progress in meeting academic requirements.
  • Schedule and keep appointments with your advisor. Attend appointments prepared by bringing appropriate materials, identifying course choices from requirements of the preferred program or major, and identifying questions to address.
  • Know academic policies and procedures, academic calendar deadline, and degree or program requirements.
  • Tell your advisor if you have any special needs or require any learning accommodations.
  • Understand the enrollment requirements needed for your financial aid, scholarship, or international status.
  • Check your email on a regular basis. You will be responsible for reading any messages sent to your K-State email account which will be used to disseminate information from your advisor.
What does an advisor do? What are their responsibilities?

Academic Advisors are:

  • Teachers – who empower students to take responsibility for their academic success. 
  • Mentors – who work with students to reach their goals. 
  • Guides – who help students navigate their college experience. 
  • Resources – who serve as a point of contact and refer students to campus services. 
  • Experts - who help students understand the College of Education, Kansas State University, its programs and curricular requirements, and related learning opportunities. 
  • Advocates – who comply with FERPA and disability policies to protect students’ privacy and rights. 

Advising Learning Outcomes:

  • Knowledge – demonstrate a working knowledge of degree requirements, career options, campus resources, and enrichment activities.
  • Critical thinking – demonstrate the ability to identify goals, construct short-term and long-term plans, respond and adapt to changing situations, interpret degree requirements, make complex decisions, solve problems, and evaluate actions.
  • Communication – demonstrate the ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
  • Diversity – demonstrate awareness and understanding of the skills necessary in order to live and work in a diverse world.
  • Academic and Professional integrity – demonstrate awareness and understanding of the ethical and professional standards of the university, academic discipline, and profession.


  • Help students set both short-term and long-term educational and career goals.
  • Prepare students for graduation by discussing the degree requirements of their department, help with strategic course selections to minimize the number of semesters required for graduation, and inform students of opportunities in their field of study.
  • Maintain reasonable hours and methods of availability for students. Students should be able to set up appointments for an adequate amount of time to discuss goals and career choices, make curricular selections, and answer other questions.
  • Refer students to appropriate campus resources.
  • Inform students how to change college and/or departments and provide information to explain the process students follow to enroll in their curriculum and to drop or add courses during the semester.