CPR, First Aid, AED, and BLS Courses at Lafene Health Center
Lafene Health Center offers CPR, First Aid, and BLS courses through American Heart Association using the Blended Learning format. Blended learning is a combination of eLearning, in which a student completes part of the course in a self-directed manner online, followed by a hands-on session. The hands-on session is completed in person with an AHA instructor at Lafene Health Center. Courses are available to K-State students, faculty/staff, and the public.
PART 1 - Online Training
Complete one of the two online lessons through American Heart Association.
- Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED trains anyone with little or no medical training to provide first aid, CPR, and use an automated external defibrillator (AED) in a safe, timely, and effective manner.
Online course: Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED
Fee: $19.50 - paid online to American Heart Association
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for healthcare professionals trains participants to promptly recognize several life-threatening emergencies, give high-quality CPR, deliver appropriate ventilations and provide early use of an AED.
Online course: Heartcode BLS for healthcare providers
Fee: $31.00 - paid online to American Heart Association
PART 2 - Hands-On Session
See hands-on session dates/times below. Click here to schedule.
- All hands-on sessions will be at Lafene Health Center. Please enter through the far NW doors (past the garage). Non-W-permit holders should park in the North lot, marked "Lafene Clients" (white lines) to avoid a parking ticket.
- E-mail your certificate of completion from online training to firstname.lastname@example.org before your scheduled skills testing session OR print it out and bring it with you.
- On the day of your testing session, please be prepared to pay $55.00 at the time of check-in. Cash, check, and credit/debit card are accepted, paid to Lafene Health Center. KSU departments may request to be invoiced if approved prior to skills testing session.
- Cancellation Policy: If you have signed up for a testing session and are no longer able to attend or need to reschedule, please call 785-532-6595 or e-mail email@example.com. Failure to provide at least 24-hour notice will result in a $10.00 no-show fee.
Upcoming Hands-On Sessions
Note: Classes with <4 participants are subject to cancellation.
Heartsaver CPR, First Aid, and AED
Thursday, January 7, 2021 | 10:00-11:30 a.m.
Wednesday, January 20, 2021 | 2:00-3:30 p.m. - FULL
Thursday, February 4, 2021 | 10:00-11:30 a.m. - FULL
Wednesday, February 17, 2021 | 2:00-3:30 p.m. - FULL
Wednesday, February 24, 2021 | 2:00-3:30 p.m. - FULL
Thursday, March 4, 2021 | 10:00-11:30 a.m. - FULL
Wednesday, March 17, 2021 | 2:00-3:30 p.m. - FULL
Wednesday, March 24, 2021 | 2:00-3:30 p.m. - FULL
Thursday, April 1, 2021 | 10:00-11:30 a.m. - FULL
Wednesday, April 21, 2021 | 2:00-3:30 p.m. - FULL
Wednesday, April 28, 2021 | 2:00-3:30 p.m. - FULL
Thursday, May 6, 2021 | 10:00-11:30 a.m.
Wednesday, May 19, 2021 | 2:00-3:30 p.m. - FULL
Heartcode BLS for healthcare providers
Tuesday, January 12, 2021 | 10:00-11:30 a.m. - FULL
Tuesday, February 9, 2021 | 10:00-11:30 a.m. - FULL
Wednesday, February 24, 2021 | 10:00-11:30 a.m.
Tuesday, March 9, 2021 | 10:00-11:30 a.m. - FULL
Tuesday, April 13, 2021 | 10:00-11:30 a.m. - FULL
Tuesday, May 11, 2021 | 10:00-11:30 a.m.
COVID-19 Safety Precautions for CPR/BLS classes
Your health and safety are our first priority at Lafene Health Center. In accordance with state and local health officials, as well as recommendations from American Heart Association, Lafene Health Center is committed to the following safety precautions for our CPR/BLS courses.
When entering the building:
All persons entering Lafene Health Center are required to enter through the main sliding doors. Upon entrance, nursing staff will screen for travel and illness symptoms, as well as take temperatures. Face masks will be provided for those who do not have their own.
In the classroom:
Class sizes will be restricted to 6 participants and 1 instructor in order to maintain the recommended 6 feet distance between all individuals at all times (classroom layout will be marked).
All persons will use hand sanitizer before entering/exiting classroom.
All persons will wear a face mask and gloves at all times.
Hands-on practice will NOT include mouth-to-mouth breaths but may include compressions, breaths with a face mask using a disposable one-way valve, and use of first aid supplies.All equipment, including face masks, manikins, first aid supplies, and knee pads, will be thoroughly sanitized by LHC staff after each session.
NOTE: Mastery in all skills practiced in the classroom is required for course completion. If you are not comfortable with any of the above requirements, please postpone your hands-on session.
- Classroom will be decontaminated by LHC staff after each session.
"The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in CPR and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the American Heart Association, and any fees charged for such a course do not represent income to the association." In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, please advise Lafene Health Center if you have any disability that requires special materials and/or services so that appropriate personnel can be advised.