Kansas State vs. Oklahoma State

Kansas State: 35
Oklahoma State: 7

Played in Stillwater, OK on March 5, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Conditions: 48°, 18 mph wind from NNW, 25 mph gusts

RugbyMag Article

In the first collegiate match of the spring season, K-State had a very strong performance in Stillwater against Oklahoma State. Coming into the game, only one game separated the Central Division's top two teams. K-State had a 3-0 record in the fall and OSU with a 2-1 record, their only loss coming in Manhattan. From the outset, K-State's defense was smothering, and the only score allowed on the day was the result of multiple penalties that put OSU less than 10 meters out. The K-State side was led by the forwards while windy conditions slowed the passing in the back lines for much of the day. The forwards were dominant in the scrum, winning all of their own put-ins and many of Oklahoma State's, despite a significant size disadvantage. Nearly every time the ball was kicked into touch, lock Clay Reinecke won the lineout, regardless of whose throw in it was. Flyhalf Joe D'Agostino took advantage of the strong tailwind in the first half with numerous kicks to gain significant territory.

In the first half, K-State started the scoring with two penalty goals by D'Agostino, one from nearly 50 meters out. The first try was scored on a pick-and-go by prop Faddy Khamis. D'Agostino slotted the conversion for a 13-0 lead. 33 minutes into the half, K-State lost prop Quentin Hoover to a knee injury, and he was replaced by Ben Gloe, with lock Parker Staats moving to loosehead prop. In the final 7 minutes of the half, K-State was able to score two more tries. Khamis scored his second of the game on a very heads up play. After #8 Tyler Hodges prevented a clearance kick from finding touch, Khamis was there for an offload and was later tackled 3 meters from the try line. He was able to release the ball, get to his feet, then pick up the ball and score as he was being tackled in the corner. The try gave K-State an 18-0 lead with a few minutes remaining in the half. Flanker Jake Dull scored the final try of the half after K-State stole a scrum deep in OSU territory. Dull picked up from the back of a quick ruck and dove into the try zone. K-State took a 23-0 lead into the half.

In the second half, the wind was at OSU's back giving them an advantage, but the K-State defense remained strong. In a show of individual brilliance, Fullback Kenny Scott countered an OSU clearance kick, and was able to outrun the defense for a try underneath the posts. D'Agostino converted for a 30-0 lead. About 65 minutes into the match, K-State was penalized for offsides at a scrum when it appeared the ball came out and was brought back in by an OSU flanker. K-State argued the call and were backed up an additional 10 meters. OSU kept the ball in their forward and were able to score their only try of the match. K-State brought on a wave of subs in the next few minutes, with Robbie Schmidt, John Knutsen, and Taran Carl replacing Evan Talbott, Bunny Gregory, and Jake Dull respectively. The back line had a great group try with all members of the backline touching the ball with an array of switches and loops culminating in a try by winger Mike Polzin. The final score was K-State 35, Oklahoma State 7.

The B / Clubside put on an even more dominant performance, scoring 8 tries and allowing none in a game with 25 minutes halves.

Prop Faddy Khamis: 2 tries
Flanker Jake Dull: 1 try
Wing Michael Chen: 1 try
Fullback Kenny Scott: 1 try
Flyhalf Joe D'Agostino: 2/5 conversions, 2/2 penalties

Starting XV:
1. Quentin Hoover
2. Dan Knapp (c)
3. Faddy Khamis
4. Clay Reinecke
5. Parker Staats (moved to #1 @ 33)
6. Evan Talbott
7. Jake Dull
8. Tyler Hodges
9. Bunny Gregory
10. Joe D'Agostino
11. Michael Chen
12. Hugo Baxter
13. Brett Frawley
14. Mike Polzin
15. Kenny Scott


16. Taran Carl (#7 @ 75)
17. John Knutsen (#9 @ 70)
18. Ben Gloe (#5 @ 33)
19. Ryan Jordan
20. Garrett Williams
21. Robbie Schmidt (#6 @ 65)

Clubside Travelers:

Jeff Henley
Sam Dimmick