Gain professional development and networking through attending our series of events planned for undergraduate and graduate students.
Some of the benefits of participating in these programs:
- low commitment – you chose when and what you want to be involved in
- great resume builders – leadership, public speaking, presenting, teamwork, volunteering, mentoring, outreach, service, commitment to diversity & inclusion
- professional development & career advice
- networking & community building – make your experience at K-State more enjoyable and successful through the help and support of your peers
Each semester, we offer:
- Career Chats - meet with and learn from women in various professional careers. These round-table luncheons include a 15-20 minute talk, followed by an informal Q&A session. Lunch is provided.
- Professional Development - these opportunities vary in topic and format, but are designed to provide participants with valuable skills and knowledge they can apply within their careers.
- Volunteer Opportunities - host a high school student interested in STEM majors and careers for the day! The student shadows you for a day, gaining a sense of what its like to be a K-State student.
- Employment Opportunities - serve as a mentor during Saturday Workshops or Summer Workshops. In either case, mentors guide middle- or high-school campus through series of workshops hosted by K-State Faculty and staff.
- KAWSE Ambassadors - the KAWSE Ambassadors is a student organization focused on visiting local high schools and encouraging girls to pursue careers in STEM. The group meets bi-weekly throughout the semester.
Is there a topic or event that would be useful to you? We are always looking for suggestions for Career Chat or Professional Development sessions. Contact us at any time via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (785-532-6088).
Women in STEM Employment Opportunities
Saturday Workshop Mentors: October 12, 2019
The KAWSE office is seeking responsible, motivated undergraduate and graduate students to serve as a mentor & chaperone for middle school students during our Fall 2019 Saturday Workshop! As a mentor, you will lead a group of 10-15 students around the K-State campus as they participate in hands-on activities. You will work from 8 AM - 4 PM and earn $8/hour. Lunch is provided.
To apply, please complete our online form.
Questions? Email KAWSE at email@example.com or call 532-6088.
Women in STEM Volunteer Opportunities
EXCITE! Shadow Days: October 2, October 16 and November 6, 2019
The KAWSE office is currently looking for student volunteers to host high school students for a “day in the life” experience as part of our EXCITE! Shadow Days program. Responsibilities would include hosting one or two high school students on campus at K-State between the hours of 9am-3:30pm on the dates listed above. You do not need to be available for all dates in order to volunteer. The students will go with you to class and you get to give them a tour of campus, show them your favorite spots, and answer their questions about college. Students are matched with you based on their interest in your major. Free lunch in the form of a $10 meal card to the K-State Student Union Food Court will be provided for each volunteer and student participant.
To volunteer, please complete this online form: https://kstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bIr2yZHXf0Dl6rb
Questions? Need more information? Email the KAWSE office at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Big Read Wichita Outreach Event: October 12, 2019
Along with K-State Research and Extension, the Science Communications Initiative, and other partners, KAWSE will host a STEM-themed activity booth for youth and their families during an open-house fair on October 12 from 12-5. We need 1-2 volunteers to run the booth and share your enthusiasm for STEM, K-State and the KAWSE Office! To volunteer, please email email@example.com.
KAWSE Ambassadors Meeting
New/interested members are welcome! This organization is for undergrad & graduate students. Our goal is to be low-commitment while having a high impact. We meet every other Tuesday and you get to choose how much you want to be involved in our various initiatives. This group focuses on supporting girls’ interest in STEM through visits to local/middle high schools. It is also a great place to meet other women in STEM at K-State, like yourself, and participate in professional development and other volunteer outreach opportunities. To be added directly to the KAWSE Ambassadors mailing list, contact Alison Chan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We want to hear from you!
KAWSE would like to plan programs and events tailored to your needs and interests as women in STEM fields at K-State. If there is something you wish you knew more about or an event you feel like you could benefit from, please reply to this message and share your idea(s). We appreciate your feedback!
Visit K-State’s Career Center website to check the dates of upcoming Career Fairs. You can also drop by in the afternoons for a quick look over your resume, or schedule an appointment with an advisor for a more in-depth review. The Career Center offers a variety of services to support you in your professional endeavors!