Supervising Students on the Job
Course Code: WTD005
Course Name: Supervising Students on the Job
Department: Human Capital Services
Length of Session: 2 Hours
Session Description: Student employees provide a significant portion of the workforce that supports and maintains this campus community. To work effectively with this important group, a supervisor should be aware of students' work limitations, key university and federal policies, and helpful leadership techniques. Even experienced supervisors of regular staff will benefit from the ideas offered in this program.
The content of this course is not designed for supervisors of GTA's, GA's, or GRA's.
Session Objectives: As a result of this session, participants will:
- Recognize best practices for student employee hiring and onboarding.
- Discuss responsibilities for supervisors of student employees.
- Understand student employee circumstances and limitations.
- Discuss motivation strategies and ways to recognize student employees.
- Review strategies for addressing poor work performance.
Course Materials (requires eID and password)