Special Enrollment Access Request

Special Enrollment Access Request: Undergraduate students requesting to take courses for graduate credit and graduate students requesting to take courses for undergraduate credit.

In order to enroll for credit outside your current “career” (UG or GR), you must have a separate career created in the student information system (KSIS). This will be necessary for graduate students wishing to take background courses for undergraduate credit and undergraduate seniors wishing to take courses for graduate credit (beyond requirements for bachelor’s degree).

All graduate students are eligible to take undergraduate level courses (for undergraduate credit) and should complete this form if they wish to do so. Some undergraduates are eligible to take courses for graduate credit in their senior year and must complete this form in order to do so. Undergraduates wishing to take upper level courses for graduate credit must meet the criteria set by the Graduate Council (excerpt from Graduate Handbook, Chapter 1, Section F):

“Seniors at Kansas State University who have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on prior undergraduate work and are within two semesters of receiving a bachelor's degree may take up to 9 hours for graduate credit in courses numbered in the 500, 600, and 700 sequences.

Enrollment in courses at the 800 level and above is normally restricted to students admitted to the Graduate School. In exceptional circumstances, highly qualified students may enroll in courses numbered 800 and above after obtaining permission from the instructor of the course, the head of the department offering the course, and the Graduate Dean.

Those wishing to take more than 9 semester hours must apply for admission to, and be accepted by, the Graduate School. Following the award of a bachelor's degree, courses taken for undergraduate credit may not be changed to graduate credit.

A student enrolled as an undergraduate special student may not take courses for graduate credit. “

If you have any questions regarding the completion of this form, please contact the Graduate School at grad@ksu.edu.


First Name:
Last Name:
WID (Wildcat ID):
Date of Birth:
Student EID:
Advisor EID:
Choose which option applies:
Current Standing:
Cumulative undergrad KSU GPA:
(Only if undergrad seeking grad career)

Your request will usually be processed within 3 to 5 business days. An electronic response will be sent to your K-State e-mail address.