Each fall semester current ESS TRIO participants, who meet established criteria, will be notified they are eligible to apply for a Grant Aid award provided by the Department of Education and Kansas State University. Grant Aid is awarded in the spring semester. Award amounts may vary each year with a minimum amount of $650.
ESS students that meet the following qualifications will be emailed an application Nov. 2019.
- Be an active ESS participant
- Be receiving a Federal Pell Grant
- Be in their first 2 years of post-secondary education (includes years enrolled at another 2 or 4 year institution following high school graduation)*
- Have financial unmet need or loans as part of their financial aid award for 2019-2020
*Students in their 3rd year of post-secondary education who meet the other criteria may qualify but priority is given to 1st and 2nd year students.
After a review of applications, accepted students will be notified by email and must complete the following requirements in order to receive an award:
- Schedule an initial Grant Aid meeting with your ESS Coordinator
- Complete the PowerCat Financial College Financial Planning course. The course is a series of 3 one-hour meetings with a trained peer financial counselor.**
- Maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA 2019 Fall semester or participate in Student Success Coaching with an ESS Coordinator during Spring 2020
- Schedule a 2020 Spring meeting with your ESS Coordinator for follow-up
** This requirement applies only to 1st time Grant Aid applicants. Previous Grant Aid recipients will be required to set up a 1 hour meeting with a PowerCat Financial peer financial counselor to review last year's plan.