Young Writers' Workshop
June 22-26, 2020
Unlock your creativity ...
If you love to tell stories,
if you scribble poems,
if you write essays,
apply to the Young Writers’ Workshop!
For one week on the campus of Kansas State University, work with experienced teachers, dig into your imagination, and command the language to create original, inventive works of writing.
Meet with published writers -- slam poets, graphic novelists, oral historians, and playwrights -- who will share advice on where to get ideas, how to get going, and why they write.
Join us for a week of creative immersion!
NOTE: Due to Covid-19 and limited university operations, the 2020 Young Writers' Workshop will be held online rather than at the Beach Museum.
Location: Online, due to Covid-19.
8:30 – 9:00 Gather in the secure online space
9:00 – 10:30 Welcome, warm-up exercises, and writing workshops
10:45 – 12:00 Writing and sharing
12:00 – 1:00 Lunch break
1:00 – 3:00 Visit from guest writers
3:15 – 4:00 Writing time and wrap-up exercises
Program concludes with an online graduation ceremony and reading by the participants.
Cost: Free to apply and to attend.
- Applicants must be entering 8th, 9th, or 10th grades, with preference for young writers from Kansas.
- Applicants must complete the application form and submit their application by May 15, 2020.
- Applicants must provide a confidential letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, or principal.
- Completed application form (.pdf), with 150-word personal statement from the applicant about his or her interest in the program
- Space is limited to 15 participants with preference given to young writers from Kansas, so submit applications by May 15, 2020 for priority consideration!
- Confirmation of acceptance will be provided by May 25, 2020.
- Applications submitted after May 15, 2020 will be considered as space is available.
- Dr. Katy Karlin, Program Director and Lead Instructor
- Instructors -- TBA
- Krista Danielson
- Adrianna Gordey
- Dustin Vann
- Interested in applying to serve as one of our 2021 Instructors? See the call for applications.
- Program Assistant -- TBA
- Cecily Cecil
- Interested in applying to serve as our 2021 Program Assistant? See the call for applications.
- Cecily Cecil
- The Department of English
- Helen and Duke Dupre
- The Beach Museum
Questions? Email us at email@example.com.