1. Create a Student Ombudsperson Office
Creating a Student Ombudsperson Office enhances student supportive services at the University. Creating the Student Ombudsperson role was a collaboration between the Provost, Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer and Vice President for Student Life to advocate for students experiencing a campus climate concern.
Please visit the Student Ombudsperson website for more information
Effective April 1, 2021, Dr. Kimathi Choma, Assistant Dean for Diversity, Recruitment and Retention in the College of Arts and Sciences, serves as the Student Ombudsperson for all K-State students. Dr. Choma can be reached at email@example.com.
Timeline and Milestones
- 8/10/2021: Student Ombudsperson Office outfitted and ready to go in the Academic Achievement Center suite, 101 Holton Hall.
- 7/23/2021: Completed International Ombudsperson Association Foundations Training Course
- 3/29/2021: Dr. Kimathi Choma announced as Student Ombudsperson.
- 3/25/2021: Position offered and accepted.
- 3/8/2021-3/10/2021: Interviews and student sessions held.
- 1/26/2021: Search underway and applications being received.
- 1/25/2021: Position announced and application invited.
- 1/21/2021: Search committee identified:
- Bryan Samuel, CDIO
- Rohan Amare, PhD Mechanical Engineering, PCRSND
- Carmen Del Real, Undergrad Biology, Developing Scholars Program, LULAC
- Maria Izquierdo, Undergrad Nutritional Sciences, HALO
- Trumanue Lindsey, Director of Diversity and Multicultural Student Life
- Ronaldo Lopez, Undergrad Mechanical Engineering, SGA Multicultural Affairs Director
- Mary Oborny, Dept of Kinesiology, USS Senate President
- Sara Thurston, Director, International Student and Scholar Services
- 8/25/2020: Position description currently under review by Human Capital Services.
- 8/17/2020: Draft position description vetted and approved by core team members.
- 8/10/2020: Draft position description completed.
- 7/22/2020: Draft of position description commences.
- 7/8/2020: Research of potential job duties and responsibilities begins.
- View a comparison analysis (.xxls) of other institutions/organizations with a student-facing ombudsperson role.
- 7/7/2020: Core leadership meet to discuss forward direction.
- 7/1/2020: President announces Action Steps in K-State Today Special Issue.
Accountable Administrators and Action Team
This initiative was led by a core leadership team. The lead administrator identified below was responsible for initiating and reporting on the progress of the initiative overall.
Core leadership team
- Be Stoney, Interim Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer, lead administrator
- Charles Taber, Provost and Executive Vice President
- Thomas Lane, Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students
- Adrian Rodriguez, Associate Vice President for Student Life and Diversity and Multicultural Student Affairs