10. Adopting the U.S. Multicultural Overlay
This initiative is a collaborative effort with the academic colleges and faculty members to adopt the U.S. multicultural overlay as a universitywide model.
The committee work has been completed. Status updated to launched 3/30/21.
As part of the Action Plan for a More Inclusive K-State, it is recommended that Kansas State University adopt a U.S. Multicultural Overlay as a new, general degree requirement. This has been shared with the appropriate parties for comment, and as all are in agreement, will be sent through the course and curriculum process for Fall 2023.
- Work completed and proposal submitted to President and Provost.
- By the end of the spring semester, the action team plans to complete proposals for:
- engaging students in completing two courses to meet the University U.S. Multicultural Overlay requirement,
- a process to select the courses that will fulfill the requirement, and
- an assessment plan.
Timeline and Milestones
The timeline and milestones for this initiative are currently under development by the action team.
Accountable Administrators and Action Team
This initiative is led by a core leadership team. The lead administrator identified below is responsible for initiating and reporting on the progress of the initiative overall.
Core leadership team
- Amit Chakrabarti, Dean, College of Arts and Sciences, lead administrator
- Be Stoney, Interim Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer
- Matthew O'Keefe, Dean, College of Engineering
- Team members
- Sherryl Allen, Advisor, College of Arts and Sciences
- Sandra Avalos, Advisor, College of Education
- Matt Basel, Assistant Professor, College of Veterinary Medicine
- Joyce Baptist, Professor, College of Health and Human Sciences
- Ansley Chua, Department Head, Finance, College of Business Administration
- Ronnie Elmore, Professor, College of Veterinary Medicine
- Pamela Erickson, Director, Student Success and Advising, K-State Global Campus
- Melia Fritch, Associate Professor, Hale Library
- Socorro Herrera, Professor, College of Education
- Caroline Jones, Advisor, College of Business Administration
- Shawna Jordan, Assistant Dean, College of Health and Human Sciences
- Kimberly Kramer, Professor, Carl R. Ice College of Engineering
- Anna Salas, Office Specialist, College of Business Administration
- Hannah Schuh, Advisor, College of Health and Human Sciences
- Scott Tanona, Associate Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
- Lisa Tatonetti, Professor, College of Arts and Sciences
- Lisa Wilkens, Associate Professor, Carl R. Ice College of Engineering