1. K-State home
  2. »Counseling Services
  3. »Concerned about a student
  4. »Parents & Family

Counseling Services

Counseling Logo

Kansas State University
Counseling Services
1105 Sunset Ave, Rm 101
Manhattan, KS 66502

Monday - Friday:  8am-5pm

785-532-3932 (fax)

Parking Information

Family Concerned about a Student

Here at Counseling Services we value autonomy in seeking therapeutic services. Therefore, we do not reach out to students that are not engaged in therapy.  If you have a concern you can follow the link provided and make a “Student of Concern” report which will be handled by the Office of Student Life.  If you feel it requires immediate action please call campus police at 785-532-6412.

Information from the Office of Student Life
Student of Concern report

As a parent or family member, you may also want to know about the other mental health resources in the community.  Below is a link to the Therapist Finder on the Psychology Today website.  This website will give you the ability to see a list of providers in the Manhattan area, insurance companies the individuals are credentialed with, and their corresponding specialties.

Therapist Finder

I think my student may have an eating disorder. What do I say?

If you think that your student is restricting caloric intake, bingeing, vomiting, making repeated statements about weight or body image, using laxatives/diet pills/diuretics and/or over-exercising, express care and concern about your student's behavior. Recognize that an eating disorder is a serious medical and psychological problem. Ignoring the eating disordered behavior will not make the behavior disappear. On the other hand, parents are not able to effectively "do therapy" with their own family. Instead, encourage your student to seek assistance from trained professionals. Avoid overly focusing on your student's weight or looks. Avoid blaming them for the disorder. Instead, engage in an open dialogue about feelings. Anticipate that your student may be hesitant or resistant to seeking treatment. Recognize also that recovery is a process and relapses may occur.

If you would like to consult further, feel free to contact us. Counseling Services does not provide treatment for students with eating disorders but will help to refer students to a community provider or treatment facility. We also work with students who have eating concerns.

For more information, please visit How to Help Someone With an Eating Disorder in College from the Child Mind Institute.


Resources to Help Parents

Your family member/significant other is either planning to attend K-State or is already enrolled. And as a concerned individual, their choice affects you.  We hope that the following information can assist you with your concerns for the student:
 empty nestAdjusting when your family member/significant other goes off to college - Whether it is the first child going to college or your partner returning to school, families have to adjust to the changes both at their home life/schedules and in the changes they see as their family member-student grows and changes. This section may assist you in that process.
 Concern About Your StudentWhen you are concerned about your student who is away at college - Here you can find out about warning signs that your student may be having difficulties and steps you can take to get assistance.
For additional resources see:
  • LD Online: Articles and resources about learning disabilities; has a college section
  • College Confidential: Articles and discussion forums around all college related topics
  • NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness: Awareness, education, and advocacy for individuals and families affected by mental illness
  • The Jed Foundation: Working to reduce emotional distress and prevent suicide among college students