Dr. Duy H. Hua
|University Distinguished Professor Adjunct Professor, KSU Center on Aging||Research Area|
|CBC 301||Research Specialities|
|785-532-6699 (office)|| |
University Distinguished Professor
Our research interest includes: (i) Chiral polymer-stabilized bimetallic nanoclusters in catalytic asymmetric oxidations; (i) Design, synthesis and bioevaluation of natural products and small molecules; (iii) Drug development for Alzheimer’s disease; and (iv) Early detection of triple-negative breast cancer viaprofiling of overexpressed proteases using carbon nanofiber based electronic biosensors.
Our recent discovery of chiral-polymer-induced bimetallic nanocluster mediated enantioselective oxidations of alcohols, alkanes, and alkenes along with various ring-forming reactions has opened a new direction for the synthesis of chiral molecules. A number of biologically active small molecules have been discovered through collaborations with biological colleagues.
Five Selected Publications
1. Synthesis of cyclododeciptycene quinones. Kaiyan Lou, Allan M. Prior, Bernard Wiredu, John Desper, and Duy H. Hua. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2010, 132, 17635-17641. Doi: 10.1021/ja1088309.
2. Inhibition of Acyl-CoA: Cholesterol Acyltransferase (ACAT), Overexpression of Cholesterol Transporter Gene, and Protection of Amyloid b(Ab) Oligomers-Induced Neuronal Cell Death by Tricyclic Pyrone Molecules. Laxman Pokhrel, Izumi Maezawa, Thi D. T. Nguyen, Kyeong-Ok Chang, Lee-Way Jin, and Duy H. Hua. J. Med. Chem. 2012, 55(20), 8969-8973; http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jm3012189.
3. Modulation of mitochondrial complex I activity averts cognitive decline in multiple animal models of familial Alzheimer's Disease. Liang Zhang, Song Zhang, Izumi Maezawa, Sergey Trushin, Paras Minhas, Matthew Pinto, Lee-Way Jin, Keshar Prasain, Thi D. T. Nguyen, Yu Yamazaki, TakahisaKanekiyo, Guojun Bu, Ben Gateno, Kyeong-Ok Chang, Karl A. Nath, Emirhan Nemutlu, Petras Dzeja, Yuan-PingPang, Duy H. Hua, and Eugenia Trushina. EBioMedicine2015, 2, 294-305; doi: 10.1016/j.ebiom.2015.03.009.
4. Chiral Substituted Poly-N-vinylpyrrolidinones and Bimetallic Nanoclusters in Catalytic Asymmetric Oxidation Reactions. Bo Hao, Medha J. Gunaratna, Man Zhang, Sahani Weerasekara, Sarah N. Seiwald, Vu T. Nguyen, Alex Meier, and Duy H. Hua. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, 138, 16839-16848, DOI:10.1021/jacs.6b12113.
5. The anti-Aband neuroprotective properties of a novel tricyclic pyrone molecule. Izumi Maezawa, Bende Zou, Jacopo Di Lucente, William S. Cao, Conrado Pascual, Sahani Weerasekara, Man Zhang, Xinmin Simon Xie, Duy H. Hua, and Lee-Way Jin. Journal Alzheimer’s Disease, 2017, 58, 559-574.