From Kansas City airport (MCI) to Manhattan Holiday Inn or KSU Chemistry Department:
- How you leave the airport depends a little on where you start (which car rental agency or parking lot) but you want to take the airport exit and then get on I-29 heading NORTH toward St. Joseph (not toward Kansas City). This involves making a sharp, >90° turn across the median and it looks wrong, but it's OK.
- After about 3.5 miles, take the I-435 exit SOUTH (toward Topeka).
- After about 19 miles, take the I-70 Kansas Turnpike exit WEST (toward Topeka). Part of this is a toll road, total cost $1.85.
- Stay on I-70, through Topeka and toward Denver. After about 97 miles, take the K-177 exit NORTH (toward Manhattan).
- After about 8 miles the speed limit drops from 70 to 45 mph and you cross the Kansas River. Go past the right-lane exit for K-18/K-24 and continue straight. You will end up on Pierre St. heading west, passing numbered streets.
- Turn right (NORTH) on 17th Street. Go straight through the traffic light at Poyntz and proceed another 4-5 blocks to the next light at Anderson.
- If you are going to the Holiday Inn, it is on the right just before the light, on the SE corner of N. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and Anderson.
- If you are coming directly to campus, proceed straight through the light at N. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and Anderson. There is an information kiosk about a block in. Tell them you are a visitor to the Chemistry Department and you should be given a free one-day parking permit. They will also give you a map showing where you can hunt for a space and showing the location of Chemistry Building and King Hall. Parking is very tight during the day, and you may have to park fairly far away.