The Center for Engagement and Community Development (CECD) was founded by Provost Duane Nellis to promote engagement across the breadth of our campus and with off campus partners through engaged teaching, research, and outreach, and to apply the expertise of Kansas State University in addressing issues of community development throughout Kansas.
The On-Campus Advisory Board for the Center for Engagement and Community Development is a group of professional and academic leaders from on campus who are committed to the idea of an engaged campus. Those serving on the Advisory Board are committed to an engaged campus through student learning, academic research, and outreach with off-campus communities and stakeholders.
The CECD On-Campus Advisory Board acts in an advisory and leadership capacity to the CECD Director. Specifically, the Board will assist the director in brainstorming, developing, and implementing policies and activities that help CECD initiate and coordinate engagement activities and community development programs. The board is also expected to serve in a leadership capacity for the center acting as an advocate for programs and projects sponsored by the Center for Engagement and Community Development.
- Board membership. The CECD Advisory Board will be comprised of 10-15 members of the Kansas State University faculty/staff. Membership of the On-Campus Advisory Board will represent a broad range of stakeholders and interested parties in engagement and community development.
- Board Appointments. Advisory Board members will be appointed by the Provost based upon the recommendation of the CECD Director and the Advisory Board.
- Terms of Appointment . The length of terms of the appointed members of the Board will be three years beginning September 1st of each year. Initial terms will be staggered so that approximately one-third of the board will transition each year. The Board may recommend standing appointments for individual Board members whose continued service is essential to CECD.
- Officers. The Board will elect from its own membership a chair, vice-chair, and secretary. All officers term of office is one-year. After one year of service as vice-chair, it is expected that the vice-chair will assume the chair position for the following year. Board members are eligible for re-election after leaving the position for one year.
- Staff Support. Staff support for the Board will be provided by the Director of CECD, the Extension Liaison for CECD, and the Administrative Assistant of CECD.
- Meetings. The Board will meet a minimum of three times each year and at other times as necessary. The agenda of these meetings will be determined by the Board chair and the CECD Director.
- Quorum. A quorum requires the presence of a simple majority of the board members.
- Advisory Policies. A simple majority of those board members present is required to adopt an advisory policy. All advisory policies adopted by the Board will be forwarded to the Director of CECD.
- Sub-committees. The Board may appoint sub-committees for specific projects. These committees can include non-Board members.
- Unoccupied Board Positions. A board position will be considered unoccupied upon the resignation of a board member or more than three consecutive absences from Board meetings. The Board will recommend to the Provost candidates to fill unoccupied positions on the Advisory Board.
- Amendment of Operating Principles. A majority of the entire Board can recommend amendment of these operating principles. Amendments are effective when adopted by a majority of the Board and approved by the Provost.