Cats' Cupboard Student Ambassadors
Are you passionate about helping your fellow K-Staters? Cats' Cupboard: The K-State Food Pantry is now accepting applications for its first-ever cohort of ambassadors. Regardless of your area of study, all students, from freshmen through doctoral candidates, are invited to apply by 11:59 p.m. on March 16, 2020.
Cats' Cupboard Ambassadors will be the K-State Food Pantry's frontline in advocating for food security and basic needs that the pantry provides. They will work to reduce the stigma associated with utilizing food assistance and educate the K-State community regarding ways to support food insecure students. Additionally, Cats' Cupboard Ambassadors will provide critical hands-on work by conducting food drives and staffing and hosting outreach events and speaking engagements.
Ambassadors will meet biweekly throughout the academic year, participate in at least one planning committee, and serve a minimum of five hours at outreach events and food drives per semester.
The Cats' Cupboard team will be reaching out by March 24 to schedule interviews that will occur the week of April 6.
We are always looking for groups and individuals willing to host and promote a donation drive. Donation drives are great ways to bring resources together to make a larger impact. To learn more, please read our Host a Donation Drive page.
Cats' Cupboard accepts volunteer applications on an ongoing basis. Volunteers provide unpaid assistance for one or two hours at a weekly assigned time during the pantry's hours of operation. Volunteers complete various duties, including
- Providing directions and assistance
- Providing the public with information about Cats' Cupboard
- Processing and shelving in-kind donations
- Assisting with various other special donation drive, fundraising, and marketing projects
- Maintaining a safe, clean, pleasant physical environment
Volunteers will be expected to demonstrate good judgment and discretion and will be required complete training related to volunteer service, confidentiality, and FERPA privacy standards
- Desire to serve the K-State Campus students, staff, and faculty by helping alleviate food insecurity on our campus
- Dependability in regards to volunteer service and scheduling with an ability to set and maintain own schedule
- Computer literacy including Microsoft Excel
- Excellent customer service skills
- Experience working with diverse populations and a commitment to the K-State Principles of Community
- Pledge to confidentiality and dignity for all food pantry visitors
- Ability to juggle multiple projects with attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively with other staff and volunteers
Education: Any field
Time frame: Must commit to at least one semester.
Hours: 1-3 hours per week. The schedule is filled at the beginning of each semester. However, since we keep resumes on file and use those to fill vacancies in future semesters, students are welcome to submit an application at any time. Please note, this is an unpaid volunteer position, however, position can be used to satisfy internship and/or service hour requirements.
Application: Send resume, 1-2 paragraph cover letter outlining what you hope to gain from this volunteer experience, and semester availability to Erin Bishop at firstname.lastname@example.org.