Hospitality Career Meet-Up
Tuesday, February 22, 2022
In-person & Virtual
5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
This event is intended to bring employers and students together to facilitate connections in food and beverage management, meeting and event management, and lodging management. Some students may be seeking part-time, internship, or full-time opportunities, while others are wanting to meet professionals to learn more about the field.
Information for Students
Who Should Attend
- Any student interested in the hospitality industry who wants to learn about different careers in these fields (full-time, part-time or internships)
- Undergraduate or graduate students welcome from any major
How Does This Event Work?
- Organizations will participate in-person at the Berney Family Welcome Center or virtually via the Remo platform
- Note: Masks are required for all indoor events on campus
- Representatives will be at high-top tables
- Students may approach representatives to learn more about careers with their organizations, internships and summer jobs
- Be ready to ask questions
- Bring multiple copies of your resume, just in case a representative asks you for it
- Studens of all majors welcome!
- Attire - business casual
We will be using the Remo platform for this event. To obtain the link to connect with employers participating virtually, log into Handshake and find the link in the event description.
See Who's Coming
The full list of participating employers is available in Handshake.
- Go to "See More Employers" for full listing of participating organizations
- To see who is attending virtually, scroll down on left, select "Labels" and sort by in-person or virtual
What to Wear
- Business casual dress is preferred for this event.
- Update your resume with the Career Center Resume Guide and have it ready in case you need to refer back to it.
- Practice your 30-second introduction (p. 52).
Prepare Questions for Conversation
Show the representative you have done some research. Examples include:
- How did you get started in this industry?
- What types of careers are available at your organization?
- What does a typical day look like?
- What are the top three things you spend your time doing in this role?
- What type of training is available for this position?
- What suggestions do you have for me as I start a job search in this field? (industry-specific)
- Can you describe your organization's culture?
- Can you think of 1-2 people you would recommend I talk to?
- What are some next steps?
It is appropriate to gather contact information and thank the contacts you met. Handwritten notes are best, but emails will do. Remember to send promptly. You can ask a representative if you could add them on LinkedIn following the event.
Information for Employers
Employers are invited by special invitation. The meet-up is limited to 25 organizations in-person and 10 organizations virtually. Any questions can be directed to Teresa Parks.
How Does this Event Work?
There are two options for employer participation - either in-person in the Berney Family Welcome Center on the K-State Manhattan campus or virtually through the Remo platform.
Employers will meet with students at high-top tables and provide information on their organization, how to gain experience in the field, as well as any available opportunities. Students will come and go.
Note: Masks are required for all indoor events on campus.
The Career Center will provide employers with a link to the Remo platform where students can interact with employers virtually through video.
Any questions about the event or registration can be directed to Teresa Parks.