Hospitality Career Meet-Up
Thursday, Feb. 18, 2021
5:30 – 7:00 p.m.
This free networking event is intended to bring employers and students together to facilitate connections in food and beverage management, meeting and event management, and lodging management. Some students may be seeking part-time, internship, or full-time opportunities, while others are wanting to meet professionals to learn more about the field.
Information for Students
This free networking event is intended to bring employers and students together to facilitate connections in food and beverage management, meeting and event management, and lodging management. Employers will set up virtual meeting rooms and engage with students via Zoom or another platform.
Who Should Attend
- Any student interested in the hospitality industry who wants to learn about different careers in these fields (full-time, part-time or internships).
- Undergraduate or graduate students welcome from any major.
How Does This Event Work?
On the day of the event starting at 5:30 p.m. CST, you will be able to connect with employers through audio, video, and chat by joining their virtual meetings via Zoom, Google Hangouts, etc.
Day of the Event
On the day of the event, you will receive a reminder email to login to Handshake for the event. Once logged in, please click on the meeting link provided in the description where you will be directed to a Zoom room. In Zoom, you will be provided all the necessary virtual meeting information for each organization registered for that day. You will be able to reference back to it as you join and leave virtual organization rooms. After you are done visiting with all the organizations you would like, you are done! This is a ‘come and go’ event where you can spend as much or as little time as you want to talk to different organizations. The next day you will receive a follow-up email from the K-State Career Center with a short survey on your experience and feedback.
Thank you and if you have any questions please reach out to the K-State Career Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 785-532-6506.
See Who's Coming
View the list of employers attending in Handshake.
How Do I Register?
Register by going to the event in Handshake here or search for "Hospitality Career Meet-Up" under events in Handshake. Register for the event by clicking on the "Register" button on the top right. You will receive an e-mail from Handshake confirming your RSVP for the event.
- Business casual dress is preferred for this event.
- Update your resume with the Career Center Resume Guide and have it ready in case you need to refer back to it.
- Practice your 30-second introduction (p. 52).
Prepare Questions for Conversation
Show the representative you have done some research. Examples include:
- How did you get started in this industry?
- What types of careers are available at your organization?
- What does a typical day look like?
- What are the top three things you spend your time doing in this role?
- What type of training is available for this position?
- What suggestions do you have for me as I start a job search in this field? (industry-specific)
- Can you describe your organization's culture?
- Can you think of 1-2 people you would recommend I talk to?
- What are some next steps?
It is appropriate to gather contact information and thank the contacts you met. Handwritten notes are best, but emails will do. Remember to send promptly.
You can ask a representative if you could add them on LinkedIn following the event.
Information for Employers
The meet-up is limited to the first 25 organizations who complete the registration.
How Does this Event Work?
On the day of the event starting at 5:30 p.m. CST, students will be able to connect with you through audio, video, and chat via your own virtual platform (Zoom, Google Hangouts, Teams, etc). Organizations will be able to submit their platform and meeting link in the registration form or directly to the Career Center at a later date. The day of the event, we will provide registered students with all the organization meeting links. Students will be able to come and go into your virtual meeting rooms.
*If you do not have access to a virtual video platform, please let us know. We can assist with that.
Employers are invited by special invitation. Any questions can be directed to Jaci Kolm at email@example.com.
Any questions about the event or registration can be directed to Jaci Kolm at firstname.lastname@example.org.