Why should I work with an advisor?
You're in the driver's seat, so think of your advisor as your co-pilot (not a backseat driver!) who is there to help you stay on course.
Working with your advisor may help you avoid mistakes like: taking classes you don't need, missing a class that may not be offered for another year or more, or accidentally missing a pre-requisite for a required course. An ideal advisor will not only help you enroll in courses and map out a plan of action, but will help you develop critical thinking skills and make tough decisions regarding your academic career at K-State. Your advisor wants to see you succeed!
When should I see my advisor?
- Whenever you encounter problems that affect your academic performance
- When it is time to schedule classes (Reminder: Be sure to register as early as possible!)
- To discuss academic progress
- Discuss career considerations
- Withdraw from a course/courses
- Explore a change of major
- Check out internships or study abroad
- .... and much more!]
Check out the Undergraduate Catalog for more info about drop/adds, degree requirements, and much more!
Before your advising appointment:
Print this handy Advising Session checklist (pdf) and fill it out before each advising appointment!
Create a tentative schedule for yourself before checking in with your advisor. Fill out this template (excel file) and check out the example. Preparing ahead of time will make your advising appointment go smoothly and you'll have plenty of time to ask questions if you already know which classes you need to take. Be sure to select a few back-up courses in case your first choices are already closed.
After your appointment, take your advisor's advice! Form your class schedule based on their recommendations, review any materials you discussed, follow-up with referrals or recommended resources, and write down any new questions you may have for future appointments.
Having trouble deciding on a major?
- Review your academic strengths, weaknesses, hobbies, passions, and career interests
- Research majors based on this information
- Compare and contrast classes and degree requirements
- Make an appointment with your advisor!
- Check out all of the majors and programs at K-State.
- Visit the Career Center to explore how your interests align with majors and programs.
- You can enroll as Open Option while you research which program might be the best fit for you.
To-do list for current students:
- Before you enroll each semester, review your DARS report! Make a note of which classes you are still missing and map out a plan of action.
- Fill out and print the course schedule template
- Look over the course schedule for the upcoming semester – which dates/times are available? Create your own schedule and make an appointment with your advisor to discuss course options, career exploration, and planning for future semesters.
- Explore your options – Opportunities for personal and educational development.
- Get involved in the campus community!
- Nearing graduation? Ask your advisor about Graduation Requirements – He or she will make sure you’re on track!
Things to think about your senior year
Just one year until graduation...You made it! That means it's time to step out into the real world. Are you going on to graduate or professional school or jumping straight into a career? Have you considered an internship in the profession of your choice? Talk to your advisor about what you plan to do next. Your advisor is there to help you decide where to go from here.
General Education Requirements (K-State 8)
Research other classes that interest you. Are you earning a degree in Accounting but have always wanted to take a ceramics course? See about taking an elective outside your major! Many will fulfill your K-State 8 requirements.
Keep a record of what classes you’re taking and what you still need to take in order to graduate. Make room for classes that expand your horizons – research which of the K-State 8 courses might be of interest to you.
Need to fulfill a K-State 8 Gen Ed requirement? See the expansive list of courses you can choose from!