Skip to the content

international students



  1. Where is Kansas State University?
  2. How do I get to Kansas State University?
  3. What is the student profile at Kansas State University?
  4. Explain the academic system.
  5. What is the application process for international students?
  6. What happens after a student is admitted?
  7. What is the visa process?
  8. What is the enrollment process?
  9. What are my housing options?
  10. What happens to credits I have earned in my home country or in other U.S. colleges/universities?
  11. What will it cost to study at Kansas State University?
  12. Where can I learn more about Kansas State University?

1. Where is Kansas State University?

Kansas State University is located in the heartland of United States on two campuses. The main campus, which houses the Colleges of Agriculture; Architecture, Planning and Design; Arts and Sciences; Business Administration; Education; Engineering and Human Ecology is in the city of Manhattan, Kansas. There are about 50,000 residents in the community, which has beautiful parks, 14 movie screens, one major shopping mall with 65 shops, and a great zoo. The tree-shaded streets and walks and limestone buildings on this campus make it a beautiful setting for students and residents of the town.

Find out more about Manhattan, Kansas

The Kansas State University College of Technology and Aviation is 70 miles west of Manhattan in the city of Salina. K-State at Salina is easily accessed from both I-70 and I-135. Salina is a regional trade center with two malls, four shopping centers, and a thriving business climate. There are about 45,000 residents in this community.

Learn more about Salina, Kansas

2. How do I get to Kansas State University?

You can fly directly to the Manhattan Regional Airport (Airport code MHK).  This airport is conveniently located just a few miles away from the K-State campus.  They offer a convenient flight option coming from the Dallas International Airport.  If you are able to arrange your international flight to bring you through Dallas, you can then connect directly to Manhattan.

You can find out further information about booking a flight directly to Manhattan Regional Airport at:

KCI Roadrunner Express, Inc.:
This is a shuttle-bus that will bring you to Manhattan from KCI.  The Roadrunner Express will make arrangements to deliver you to any location in Manhattan. You should make reservations. When you arrive in the U.S., you can call to make your reservation at:  1-800-747-2524. You can also make online reservations for the KCI Roadrunner before your arrival at:

Visit the International Pre-Arrival website

Get directions to K-State

3. What is the student profile at Kansas State University?

There are approximately 23,500 students enrolled at K-State. About 1,900 students come from abroad to study at K-State representing 91 different countries. K-State has students from every state in the United States.  Nearly 85 percent of the student body are Kansas residents.

Since 1986 K-State has ranked first nationally among U.S. state universities in the total of Rhodes, Marshall, Truman, and Goldwater scholars. K-Staters have excelled in nearly every discipline and won recognition for debating, agricultural judging teams, architectural designs, developing space exploration projects, electric cars, and other accomplishments. We also have some of the best professors in the nation.

The Carnegie Foundation for Advancement of Teaching named Professor Dean Zollman the 1996 Professor of the Year for research/doctoral universities because of his novel approach to teaching physics. K-State professors have served as consultants to Hollywood filmmakers, monitored the health of sled dogs in Alaska’s Iditarod race, researched the history of baseball, written plays that have been showcased off-Broadway and even invented low-calorie caramel popcorn.

See more awards and rankings

But K-Staters know how to have fun as well as how to study and learn. K-State students can take part in more than 500 campus organizations and clubs. They can also enjoy a wide variety of women’s and men’s Big 12 sports including football, basketball, track, baseball, cross country, etc.  There is a PGA golf course in Manhattan for leisure as well as education. Many opportunities exist to explore and expand your interests in everything from skydiving to origami.

4. Explain the academic system at Kansas State University.

Academic calendar

The academic year is based on two semesters, each 16 weeks long. The fall semester is from late August to mid-December. The Spring semester is from mid-January to mid-May.  There are also many course options available during the summer semester.

You can access our important dates calendar for specific dates

Everyone loves holidays, and K-Staters are no exception. The major holidays are summarized here, but you will want to check the important dates calendar to see how these days fit into the general academic calendar.

- Thanksgiving: Last Thursday in November
- Christmas/New Years: December 25-January 1
- Spring break: Late March


The bachelor of arts (BA) or the bachelor of science (BS) represents completion of required course work as defined within each discipline of study. Most bachelors degrees at K-State can be completed in four or five years of college or university study. K-State offers a limited number of associate degree programs on the Salina campus, each of which takes approximately two years of study to complete.The length of time needed to complete a degree may also vary depending on whether or not you need to take courses in the English Language Program.

Check out the undergraduate catalog

Explore the list of undergraduate degrees

Academic credits

Credits are expressed in semester hours and are used to determine university standing and for transferring records to other institutions. One semester hour equals 50 minutes in class each week for one semester. Two or three hours in laboratory are considered the equivalent of one hour in class. A class period may be devoted to lecture, group discussion or examination.

The quality of student performance is recorded on the student’s permanent record (transcript) in the Registrar’s Office at the end of the semester. The university grading system follows:

A = excellent work
B = good work
C = acceptable work
D = poor work
F = failure
I = incomplete
P = pass under the A-pass-F grading option
CR = credit for courses passed in which no letter grade is given
NC = no credit
NR = no grade reported
W = withdrawn

Refer to the undergraduate catalog for information about grades, grade reports, and scholastic deficiencies


Most course work is conducted in lecture format. All lectures are delivered in English. Students must take careful notes and can expect to be examined over lecture material as well as textbook and assigned reference books. Class attendance is strongly recommended, and some professors require regular attendance. The student must be prepared from day to day to enter into classroom discussion or to complete unannounced tests.


Most examinations are written. The frequency of examinations varies from class to class and from professor to professor. Objective tests require the student to determine whether a number of given statements are true or false or to select the correct answers from among several choices. Essay tests demand more comprehensive answers. Final examinations, given at the end of each semester in each course, may include a combination of both types.

5. What is the application process for International students?

Submit the application for international undergraduate admission and the nonrefundable application fee of $80. You may do this by using the paper application form and regular mailing system, or you may apply by clicking the link below.

Apply now

Applications submitted electronically will not be processed until the application fee is received.

In order for an application to be considered complete, the applicant must send official supporting documents. The required documents include:

1. An Affidavit of Financial Sponsorship.
K-State uses a special form for this purpose, which you can access here. This document must be dated within one year of the applicant's anticipated entry into the university.

2. Official copies of secondary and postsecondary school records from your home country.
No admissions file will be complete until final transcripts have been provided to the university.Transcripts must contain all courses and grades completed in secondary school. Certified English translations are also requested.

3. Official transcripts of any college or university work completed in the United States.

4. English Language Proficiency documentation.
Many universities have rigid TOEFL requirements for admission. However, Kansas State University wants to make the admission process for you as easy as possible.
If you do not want to take the English Proficiency Test (EPT) on arrival, then there are several ways you can get a waiver from the English Proficiency Test (EPT):

  • Provide an official high school transcript showing your enrollment in four years of College Preparatory English and/or Speech from an accredited American high school with a grade point of at least 2.00 on a 4.00 scale in each course.
  • Provide official ACT or SAT scores and achieve an English ACT sub-score of 23 or higher; or a verbal SAT I score of 530 or higher.
  • Provide an official college transcript from a regionally accredited United States college showing your completion of at least 24 credit hours, including English Composition I and Composition II with a grade point of at least 2.00 on a 4.00 scale in each course.
  • Provide Internet based TOEFL (IBT) test score with all sub-scores 21 or higher.
  • Provide IELTS test score with all sub-scores 6.5 or higher.

Any evidence of English Proficiency must be submitted to the Admissions Office prior to the first day of the English Proficiency Test (EPT) at the beginning of the semester. Evidence submitted after that time will not be considered.  Test scores and coursework must have been completed within the last two years.

6. What happens after a student is admitted?

You will receive your admission by mail or FedEx. This notice will include your I-20/DS-2019/DS-2019 along with information concerning how to apply for housing. Other mailings will be sent from your academic department, Housing and Dining Services, and other student service units on the K-State campus. We encourage students to visit our pre-arrival website below.

International student pre-arrival instructions

7. What is the visa process?

Visa application

Due to the extensive amount of time often required to process a visa application, you should apply for your visa as early as possible. Each embassy or consular post has their own application procedures, so you should consult the office where you will be applying for specific details. Most offices have a website with this type of information.

All students must complete a visa application in order to schedule a visa interview.  If you are applying for an F-1 visa, please visit the Department of State website for student visas:  If you are applying for a J-1 visa, please visit the Department of States website for Exchange Visitors:

In addition to the F-1/J-1 visa application, the Department of Homeland Security requires the submission of a SEVIS I-901 form and fee, which must be paid before the Embassy will issue your visa.

For instructions on this form go to the U.S. Customs and Immigration website

You will then need to take your I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) form, SEVIS I-901 payment receipt, your passport, evidence of financial support, and your admissions acceptance letter from school with you when you apply for the visa.  If the visa is approved, you will be given an F-1/J-1 visa stamp in the passport. The visa is a stamp in the passport indicating where the visa was issued, the date the visa will expire, the number of entries, the type of visa, and the visa number. When you collect the passport with the visa, you will also be given a sealed envelope containing the original I-20/DS-2019.

If you are transferring from another institution in the U.S. and your visa is still valid, you do not need to obtain a new visa to attend K-State, provided that you have already attended the school named on your visa when you initially entered the U.S. and you are using the I-20 issued to you by K-State when you re-enter.


When you enter the U.S., you will need to present your passport, visa, and I-20 (for F-1 students) or DS-2019 (for J-1 students). You will be issued a small card that is called an I-94. The officer at the port of entry will probably staple this card into your passport. This card is very important, as it is your proof of legal entry; do not lose it. You may be asked to go to another line where you will have your documents examined and be asked some questions. You might also be finger printed and photographed. This is called secondary inspection and it is required for most students when they enter the U.S. for the first time. Therefore, please allow at least two to three hours for your connecting flight(s).

Report date

Entry to the U.S. is limited to 30 days before the report date (listed on the I-20 and/or the DS-2019). You must report to the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) within 15 days of your report date. Students MUST check in with ISSS in order to have their SEVIS record registered.

Upon completing the mandatory check-in process, students will be allowed to enroll in K-State courses. If a student completes the mandatory check-in process, but does not enroll, K-State is required to report non-enrollment to USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services).

Each type of immigration status has its own set of unique rules and regulations. It is the responsibility of every person to know and understand their legal obligations for their own status. Most students are in either F-1 or J-1 status. Although many other status categories do allow individuals to be a student, there may be limits or regulations, and what applies to one type of status may not apply to others.

If you have any questions about your status and what you are legally allowed to do as a student, you should contact an adviser in the International Student and Scholar Services Office. The consequences of violating status can be very severe.

8. What is the enrollment process?

Students officially enroll in their classes two to four days prior to the start of the semester. This is part of your mandatory orientation program.

Schedule of orientation activities for the upcoming semester

All new students whose primary (native) language is not English are scheduled to take a proficiency assessment of written and spoken English before they can enroll. The purpose of this test is to ensure that you have adequate proficiency to profit from the English-speaking classroom environment at K-State. This test is part of the enrollment schedule, and you are registered to take the test based on information provided on your application to the university. Results of the test are available within 8 hours. If your results indicate necessary English support courses, the English Language Program staff will assist you in proper enrollment procedures.

More information about the English Proficiency Test (EPT) and available English classes

Any evidence of English Proficiency must be submitted to the Admissions Office prior to the first day of the English Proficiency Test (EPT) at the beginning of the semester. Evidence submitted after that time will not be considered.

9. What are my housing options?

The Office of Housing and Dining Services will mail you instructions on applying for housing on campus. Residence halls have available space year round, including holidays and vacation periods. The costs for residence hall living include up to 3 meals per day. About 4,000 of the 23,000 enrolled students actually live in residence halls. Married student apartments are available on-campus and include one or two-bedroom units, with or without furniture.

If you prefer to live off-campus, there are many apartments in the community. Costs are moderate to expensive depending on your individual choices.

New students are not required to live on-campus, however, it is strongly encouraged. Residence halls have available space year round, including holidays and vacation periods. The costs for residence hall living include up to 3 meals per ady.  Nearly 20 percent of students live in residence halls. Residence hall applications are available online. Married student apartments are available on-campus and include one or two-bedroom units, with or without furniture.  If you prefer to live off-campus, there are many apartments in the community. Costs vary depending on your individual choices.

More information on housing

10. What happens to credits I have earned in my home country or in other U.S. colleges/universities?

By providing an official transcript of prior academic experiences, the university will begin the process of evaluating your credits to determine comparability of subject matter and whether or not your credits can fit into your degree requirements at K-State.

Most U.S. credits are generally transferable and recognized as comparable to K-State studies. But some of your previous experiences might not meet your degree specifications, especially if you have changed your program of study.

The Office of Admissions can tell you the total number of credits that will transfer. However, your academic dean’s office will work with you to determine how everything fits into your degree plan at K-State and how your credits will be applied. The same is true of work completed abroad, although it is less likely to be automatically transferable. Your academic Dean’s Office will assist you in validating prior credits and frequently requires syllabi, course descriptions and test results to determine your level of competency in a specific field.

You are encouraged to bring information about your home country institution, courses, program of study, etc. with you to facilitate the credit transfer process. Credit for previous academic work completed outside the U.S. is evaluated on an individual basis in cooperation with the student, the academic dean’s office, and the Office of Admissions. The credentials evaluator in the Office of Admissions will be your representative in completing the credit transfer process.

11. What will it cost to study at Kansas State University?

Click on one of the following options to see what your fees will be:

International and English Language Program fees
Exchange student fees

12. Where can I learn more about Kansas State University?

Undergraduate experience
Graduate school
English Language Program
International Student and Scholar Services
Office of International Programs
Housing and Dining Service

[an error occurred while processing this directive]