1. K-State home
  2. »OIP
  3. »Education Abroad
  4. »Parents
  5. »Before Leaving

Education Abroad

Before Leaving

Before your son or daughter leaves to study abroad, please request a copy of the following travel documents to be left at home with you, the parent(s). Students should also take copies of all travel documents with them and keep them in a place separate from the original documents. These items can be more easily replaced if students have proof of each one. Make sure that all names, numbers and dates are readable.

Get copies of these travel documents

  • Passport (signed)
  • Plane tickets or electronic confirmations
  • Credit card with pin number for emergency cash
  • ATM/Debit card
  • Driver’s license
  • OPTIONAL - International Student Identification Card (ISIC)

Some very important things to discuss:

  • When your child applies for program, make sure he or she enters your phone number as an emergency contact.
  • Your child's departure information. Arrange how you will communicate with them (phone, e-mail). Set a time to hear from them within a day or two of arrival. Make sure you know what numbers are required when calling internationally. See http://www.countrycallingcodes.com/ for more information.
  • Where will your child stay in an emergency?  (ex. if plane is delayed or they don't meet up with their group at the appointed time)
  • Know the difference in time between the U.S. and where they are going.
  • Program dates and any travel they plan to do before the program, during or after.
  • How to send money in an emergency
  • Contact person in the country (program director, university coordinator, or someone else)
  • How to contact your son or daughter's study abroad advisor and financial aid advisor.
  • Educational privacy rules. Under FERPA, Kansas State may only disclose aspects of a student's study abroad program with parents if students complete a FERPA waiver form. If this is a concern for you or your child, please contact the Education Abroad Office to arrange for this waiver.

Consider Health and Safety

Foreign Travel Clinic at KSU’s Lafene Health Center

We recommend that students go to Lafene Health Center for a free appointment in the Foreign Travel Clinic. Doctors will interpret the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) travel information in light of each student’s particular health conditions and concerns.

Students can also get their vaccinations at Lafene Health Center (fees may apply).

U.S. Department of State

The U.S. Department of State protects American citizens while they are abroad.  Consider enrollment in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), a free service that allows the Department of State to better assist you if you have an emergency abroad.  Also consider some Department of State safety tips and information for students abroad, and download the Smart Traveler App.


All K-State students participating in education abroad are automatically covered by an international health insurance program, either by KSU or the host program. Most domestic health care plans do not provide for all the kinds of issues that can occur overseas, so additional coverage is necessary. Many study abroad programs include health insurance in the package and some countries, like Australia, require students to enroll in the national insurance program in order to obtain a visa. Students going abroad on a program that does not provide adequate coverage will be enrolled in K-State International Insurance Program. You can see the policy information here.

Important Bank Information

For your safety and security while studying abroad, please notify your bank and credit card company that you will be studying abroad so companies are not suspicious of fraud and strange activity, which may result in the cancellation of your account. It is also recommended that someone else be allowed access to your financial accounts while you are studying abroad. If travel documents are lost or stolen, many times a signature from the holder of the bank account is needed to issue replacement documents. Also, credit card companies are unable to freeze accounts for customers unless they are notified by the card holder or someone who has access to the account.  ATM machines overseas do not give you your balance, so it is important to obtain online access to bank accounts in order to check your status.  Sometimes it is necessary to do this at home, not overseas.

NOTE: It is a good idea for another family member to have a valid passport, in case it becomes necessary to travel overseas in an emergency.