1. K-State home
  2. »OIP
  3. »Education Abroad
  4. »Incoming Exchange Students
  5. »Apply as an Undergraduate Student
  6. »Enroll in Courses

Education Abroad

Enroll in Courses

Once you have been accepted to Kansas State University, you will have access to view additional questionnaires on your KSU online application, which will help you with course enrollment and housing. Before you can enroll in classes, you will first need to create an eID and an online Tuberculosis (TB) screening. 

Leading up to, and upon acceptance, please review the courses available for the semester(s) during which you wish to attend Kansas State University.

You will be required to enroll in at least 12 credits (also referred to as units), and the exchange will cover the cost of tuition for up to 15 credits (**Exception: For students coming from one of our Australian partners, the exchange will only cover tuition for up to 12 credits).  Please note that if you choose courses with special participant fees attached to them, or Division of Continuing Education (DCE), on-line, or UFM Community Learning Center courses, our office may not cover the cost of those additional fees. Additional information about course enrollment will be sent to you once you have been assigned an Academic Advisor.

Class work is assessed by the professor teaching the course which may be based on in-class exams, written papers, projects and/or attendance. This is variable and depends on the professor. Grading scales can be curved or on an absolute scale as determined by the professor.

When you have determined your primary and secondary course choices, please complete the "Course Enrollment" questionnaire on your KSU online application.  Completion of this questionnaire more than one month before arrival may allow you to enroll in courses prior to your arrival on campus. 

Courses Not Open to Incoming Exchange Students:

  • Veterinary Medicine
  • Kinesiology
  • Graphic Design

What Happens after you Submit your Course Enrollment Questionnaire:
Once you have submitted your course enrollment questionnaire, we will forward your transcripts and course choices to the appropriate department at K-State where that department reviews them. After the department reviews the transcripts and course selections there are a number of things that can then take place (and unfortunately it is very difficult to determine what steps will be taken by each individual department):

  • The department may check for pre-requisites and enroll the student in the class right then,
  • They may save a place for the student to enroll once they get here,
  • They may lift the advising and pre-requisite flags to allow the student to enroll on their own,
  • Or they simply wait for the student to arrive on campus to allow them to enroll in courses at International Student Orientation and Enrollment.

If course pre-enrollment is not possible prior to arrival, it will be done during International Student Orientation Week, prior to the beginning of the semester.

Number of classes a typical student takes per term:  4-5
Number of hours per week typical student spends in class:  12-15
Number of weeks per term:  15

Undergraduate Students wishing to enroll in Graduate-level credit:

Once you are on campus, you can request permission to enroll in Graduate level courses from the Incoming Exchange Student Coordinator.  Students who have been admitted as Undergraduate students are only able to enroll in 9 credit hours at the graduate level. The exchange will cover a combination of 6 graduate (800 level or above) and 6 undergraduate (100-700 level) credit hours. Once approval is granted by the Incoming Exchange Student Coordinator, you should complete the "special enrollment access request form," which is located on the Graduate School web site at https://www.k-state.edu/grad/forms/sec/career.html.