1. K-State home
  2. »OIP
  3. »Education Abroad
  4. »For Faculty and Advisors
  5. »Advise Study Abroad Students
  6. »Study Abroad Placeholder Course

Education Abroad

The Study Abroad Placeholder Course

All K-State students who will be enrolling in academic credit abroad, then transferring that credit back to K-State must enroll in the study abroad placeholder course, MLANG 001.

The MLANG 001 course holds a student's spot at K-State while they are abroad. This means that:

  1. They will be able to keep their active K-State student status.
  2. They will be eligible for financial aid.
  3. They will be allowed get credit for studying abroad.
  4. They will be able to use their K-State email.
  5. They will be able to access KSIS.
  6. A study abroad designation will be included on their K-State transcripts.
  7. The K-State Cashiers Office is aware that they will be studying abroad.

The Education Abroad Director will enroll all independent (not on faculty-led program) students in MLANG 001 at the end of the semester prior to their departure.

All students are enrolled for 12 credits for a semester or 6 credits for the summer, unless they inform us that they will be enrolled in fewer credits while abroad.  Students are not charged tuition based on the number of credits of enrollment in the MLANG 001 course. Students will be charged a $25 enrollment fee by the Cashier's Office once they are enrolled in MLANG 001.

It is important that students have all holds removed from their student accounts, and do not have other regular course enrollment at K-State for the term abroad, as these will prevent the Director of Education Abroad from being able to enroll them into the MLANG 001 course.

Graduate students must complete the Special Enrollment Access Form in order to enroll in this Undergraduate level placeholder course.  While this is an Undergraduate level course, as long as the transcripts received from abroad indicate that Graduate level courses were taken, the credit will transfer back as Graduate level credit.

College of Business Administration students should contact their appropriate Academic Advisor about enrolling in an additional business study abroad course.

Honors Society students should contact the University Honors Program about enrolling in an additional study abroad course.