1. K-State home
  2. »DCM
  3. »Branding
  4. »Frequently Asked Questions

Division of Communications and Marketing

Frequently asked questions about the graphics standards guide

Kansas State University must convey a consistent image as a top 50 public research and teaching university. A graphic identity system helps ensure that all parts of the university are working together to communicate this image visually.

Q. I want to produce a T-shirt and some give-away items with a K-State logo. Do I need approval from someone?
A. Yes. Please contact Trademark Licensing at logos@k-state.edu or 785-532-6269. 

Q. What is the Kansas State University wordmark?
A. The Kansas State University wordmark is the standardized graphic representation of the Kansas State University name. It is a custom-designed mark and is required to appear on all external publications, websites and other visual communications developed by any administrative or academic unit of the university except K-State Athletics Inc.

Q. I'd like to modify the wordmark to fit my specific needs. How do I do that?
A. Use approved, unaltered versions of the Kansas State University wordmark only. The guidelines about how to use the wordmark are included in the Graphic Standards Guide. 

Q. What formats are available for the wordmark?
A. Three formats are available: Adobe Illustrator (AI), Encapsulated PostScript (EPS), and Portable Document Format (PDF). Colors provided are purple on white, black on white, and white on purple.

Q. I've designed a logo for my department and want to use it with the K-State wordmark. Is that OK?
A. No supplementary logos are to be used with the wordmark. We all benefit when a consistent graphic identity represents Kansas State University.

Q. Where can I use the university seal?
A. The university seal was designed to be used on diplomas and official documents and for other official purposes. There are two versions of the university seal. The seal reading "Kansas State University, February 16, 1863" may be used without permission for internal documents. The seal that reads "Kansas State University of Agriculture and Applied Science" is the official version and may be used only with the permission of the Kansas State University president.

Q. What color is K-State purple exactly?
A. PMS 268 Purple for printed materials, hex code #512888 for Web.

Q. What are the rules regarding advertising?
A. Kansas State University must be identified in all university-generated advertising that promotes any unit of the institution. While preferably this will take the form of the Kansas State University wordmark most of the time, it may also be featured with type identifying Kansas State University. This applies to all online ads, magazine and newspaper advertising, posters, banners and billboards. When advertising is used to promote an event, university identification must appear prominently, but sizing should reflect the relative roles of the event, the sponsoring unit and the university.

Q. Do you expect me to throw away my supply of stationery and business cards?
A. Definitely not! We don't want people to throw away perfectly good materials, and we certainly will want people to use them until they run out. When you order new items we ask that you use the new wordmark.

Q. When is the change to the new wordmark effective?
A. We officially changed to the new wordmarks on July 1, 2011. Anyone who wants to start using the new wordmarks now can get them from K-State's Trademark Licensing office, logos@k-state.edu, or phone 785-532-6269.

Q. How did K-State develop the new wordmark?
A. This was a collaborative effort with input from faculty, staff, students, alumni and friends. The wordmark was designed by a team of internal graphic designers. Designers from offices all over campus provided input and suggestions during the process, which began last summer. Many people donated their time to help make this a reality. 

Q. What if I have more questions?
A. Contact Trademark Licensing, logos@k-state.edu or 785-532-6269, or the Division of Communications and Marketing at vpcm@k-state.edu or 785-532-2535.