Specific research projects addressed by the institute include, but are not limited to:
- Investigating chemical and microbiological safety of fruits, vegetables, and meat, especially related to bacterial pathogens and chemical contaminants associated with irrigation, wash and processing water;
- Development and optimization of water, wastewater and storm water conveyance and treatment systems;
- Establishing methods for sustainable water use and reliable water availability, including water reuse and recycling;
- Monitoring, protecting and restoring water resources and infrastructure, including green infrastructure;
- Partnering with industry to develop transferrable technology on all of the above research;
- Educating, advising and influencing urban citizens and municipalities on water policy and its impact on economics and public health.