April 25, 2013
School of Leadership celebrates service, leadership
It was a busy weekend at the School of Leadership Studies.
Families were welcomed to the building on Saturday for the all-university open house where International Service Team members were honored and "sent-off" on their international service adventures. Later in the afternoon, families were also invited to take part in a food packaging event, which was held as an opportunity to respond to the hunger issue affecting the local and global communities.
On Sunday, the School of Leadership Studies hosted their second annual Celebrating Service and Leadership event to honor campus and community award winners. It was a wonderful evening, highlighting and thanking students, campus partners and community partners who have demonstrated outstanding service and leadership in the K-State community and beyond. The event ended with The Susan M. Scott Community Leadership Award winner, Sue Maes, and some music from the Ecuadorian Student Association Band.
The students, campus partners and community partners honored during Celebrating Service and Leadership included:
Bosco Outstanding Graduating Seniors:
- Morgan Peelen, senior in social science
- Grant Goodack, senior in economics
- Michelle Foster, senior in American ethnic studies and political science
- Taylor Schmidt, senior in anthropology
Outstanding Nonprofit Graduating Seniors:
- Nonprofit graduating class
Outstanding Civic Engagement Award:
- Meg Swagerty, senior in secondary education
Celebrating People in Action Awards:
- Student organization: Wildcat Buddies
- Student volunteer: Emily Campbell, senior in public relations
- Community group: Construction Craft Laborer Trade, Flint Hills Job Corps Center
- Community youth: Mira Bhandari, fifth grader at Frank Bergman Elementary
Newman Civic Fellows Award:
- Ross Allen, sophomore in philosophy and economics
Susan M. Scott Community Leadership Award:
- Sue Maes, dean of the Division of Continuing Education