May 5, 2014
Lighting up campus with emergency blue lights
With warm weather finally here and more students on campus at night, the Kansas State University Police Department reminds everyone about a special safety feature available around the Manhattan campus.
You may have seen the blue light safety phones around campus, but have you thought about all the capabilities of these phones?
- These blue light telephones can easily be accessed by anyone in the area with the push of a button.
- The phones are directly connected to the campus police and dispatch will automatically know your location once the call is made.
- After a phone call is made and no one answers, an officer will be sent to the area to check it out.
- The blue light phones also connect you to the Wildcat Walk Service. If you feel uncomfortable walking on campus alone. A security escort will walk you to another on-campus location or up to two blocks off campus.
- These phones are not just for safety, anyone can call and ask campus police for directions or report lost and found items.
- The emergency blue light phones also are available for general communication with the K-State Police Department.
More than 40 different emergency phone locations are available on and around campus, including the parking garage, the recreation center and near the football stadium.