June 17, 2013
Zoom video conferencing tool now available to all students, faculty, and staff
Zoom, for HD video and audio conferencing and screen sharing, is now available to all K-State students, faculty and staff. Zoom can be used from any PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, Android device or phone line and will soon include H.323 and SIP participants to leverage existing legacy devices including Polycom, Tandberg, LifeSize and others.
Student usage examples:
- Quick and easy group meetings when time and/or weather do not permit
- Group members who can't attend in person can be part of a meeting
- Recording feature allows users to save a session for future reference and send to members who aren't able to attend
- Meeting with instructors and professors
- Talking with friends and family
Faculty and staff usage examples:
- Staff meetings
- Working with vendors
- Virtual office hours
- Meeting with students
- Teaching from a remote location
- Guest speakers from remote locations
The agreement between K-State and Zoom allows for up to 10,000 simultaneous meetings with up to 25 participants in each meeting. Guests can easily be invited to meetings hosted by K-State students, faculty or staff and will have access to all features as a guest.
Future plans are to integrate Zoom into K-State central authentication services, which would allow users to connect with their K-State eID and password. However, to use Zoom features provided by K-State information technology services at this time and to learn how to use Zoom, refer to the information in the information technology services Knowledge Base article.
More information will be posted on the status of single sign-on integration, possible integration with other K-State resources and Zoom upcoming feature additions as those become available.
If you would like a short demo of Zoom, or for more information, contact Luke Haselwood at email@example.com or 785-532-5995 — select option two for video conferencing.